XXVIII: fresh start

"You are telling me... Your fucking ex is dead?" he stuttered a bit in shock. She laughed.

"Yeah. What a dick. He deserved it though. After all the shit hes done. I'm telling you. He's done a lot more bad things than just cheat on me to put him in his grave." she chuckled. Ross gulped, but then smiled saying:

"Well, you know what they say; karmas a bitch." and so they sank into laughter, filling the air with only temporary happiness that would one day soon fade away into a void that would form in between them.

Laura took out a cigarette, lighting it up.

"So you are still at it I see.." Ross says.. Laura chuckles, putting the cigarette into her mouth. She laid on his chest. "Yeah? So? Your point is?" mist of smoke seeped out of her mouth, every ounce of it going into Ross' nose.

"You used to smoke Ross. What happened?" She asked. "Not that thats bad or anything. Thats good actually.. starting and then quiting so early. Usually once you start-"

"You can never really go back..." he finishes her sentence. She nodded. "Yeah." another puff of smoke blew out, "I've been trying to stop for years now... I never could... How did you do it Ross?" she asked him. He chuckles and looked around her place, wandering off into thought.

"I don't know." he stared outside of the window, longing for something that not even he knew existed within him. "I don't know." he took the cigarette from her and she widened her eyes as she immeditely looked up at him, beaming a strange angry look of confusion and desperation.

"Ross.?"

"You can always start." he says. He walked over to the window. You could hear his footsteps on the old wooden floors of her apartment, as he walks over to the ashtray by the open window. He pressed the cigarette right onto the try with no hesitation on the the tray, dropping it inside as she stared at him in gawk.

"Ross..." 

"You asked for a new start. This is how we'll begin."

He presses the cigarette forcefully onto the tray, stopping it instantly. She couldnt find any words to say. 

"Geez I almost forgot I was your therapist..." she chuckled. He laughed a long and scratched the back of his head. 

------

"Day one. New life, no cigarette. You'll be sleeping in my house obviously, Monday; spring break." he continued on,"I have therapy with you obviously, that's on your schedule." She scoffed. "Obviously I know that Ross. You don't have to tell me."

"Yeah, but you usually smell like shit when the time comes around." he made it clear that it wasn't a bodily fluid odor he wasn't talking about. She furrowed her eyebrows. "W-what?!"

"I'm just saying." she pushed him slightly. "Idiot-" he scoffed at her quick reaction.
"And apparently I need therapy."

"Its matter of psychology. Patient, etc etc. You know nothing Ross." 

"Yeah okay."

"May I remind you who's the genius here?" she asked him. "Technically me." she rolls her eyes. He gave her a cheeky smile. Her angry face turned into a 'really' expression.

"You are out of character today. Lets just get on with today's session. I gotta get on today's file."

~~~~~~~~~~