1 - Breakdown

- At The Mall -

Laura - (at the mall with Vanessa)

Vanessa - (gets a phone call) Hello?

??? - Hi, is this Vanessa Marano?

Vanessa - (confused) Yes, who is this?

??? - I am Officer Jones. We called to inform you about your parents. Is your younger sister, Laura, there with you?

Vanessa - Yes, can I help you with anything, Officer Jones?

Officer Jones - Your parents were involved in a fire.

Vanessa - WHAT? How did this happen? Are they okay?

Laura - Ness, are you okay?

Vanessa - (ignores her & goes back to her conversation)

Officer Jones - We are still figuring out the cause of the fire. But, I'm sorry ti tell you, that your parents died.

Vanessa - O-Okay, t-thank y-you (hangs up).

Laura - Ness.

Vanessa - (doesn't answer)

Laura - Ness.

Vanessa - (still doesn't answer and is trying to take in what just happened)

Laura - NESS!

Vanessa - (startled) Uh, y-yes?

Laura - Who was on the phone with you?

Vanessa - U-Um (starts crying), l-let's go, I'll e-explain on t-the way.

Laura - (slowly nods & walks with Vanessa to their car)

- In The Car -

Laura - So who was on the phone? What happened? Why are you crying (hugs her)?

Vanessa - The p-police told m-me that... M-Mom and D-Dad... w-were in... a f-f-fire (sobs even harder in Laura's arms)!

Laura - (pulls away & gasps) No! (tears start forming in her eyes) H-How did this h-happen?

Vanessa - (wipes tears from her eyes with her sleeve & sighs) T-They don't know how it h-happened y-yet.

Laura - W-We should get home.

Vanessa - (nods & starts driving back to their house)

- At The House -

Vanessa - (pulls up into the driveway & gets out of the car)

Laura - (gets out of the car & stares at the burnt house for a few seconds)

Vanessa - Laur? Are you okay?

Laura - (shakes her head & runs straight into Vanessa's arms sobbing loudly)

Vanessa - (starts crying quietly & stroking Laura's hair gently) Come on, we have to talk to the police.

Laura - (pulls away wiping her tears & nods slowly)

- With The Lynches -

Stormie - (on the phone) Oh my god (starts crying)! Are they okay? Okay, I'll take great care of them. Send them over once you talk to them. Okay, thank you for calling me (starts crying even harder).

Mark - (sitting next to Stormie, stroking her back & softly crying)

Stormie - (lowers the phone from her ear) K-KIDS CAN YOU P-PLEASE COME D-D-DOWN?

Riker, Rydel, Rocky, Ross, Ryland, & Ellington - (comes running down the stairs & sees Stormie & Mark crying with a phone in her hand with Mark stroking her back)

Riker - Mom? Dad?

Rydel - What's wrong? Why are you both crying?

Mark - Kids, sit down, we'll explain what happened.

Riker, Rydel, Rocky, Ross, Ryland, & Ellington - (goes to sit on the couch, facing Stormie & Mark waiting for them to explain)

Stormie - Kids, a really close friend of mine & her husband, just died in a fire-

Riker, Rydel, Rocky, Ross, Ryland, & Ellington - (gasps)

Mark - Guys, let her continue.

Stormie - Well, their names are Ellen & Damiano. They have two kids, both girls. Vanessa is Riker's age & Laura is Ross's age. Anyways, in Ellen's will, it says that if something happens to her, she would send her kids to come live with me, my will states the same thing as her's, for you guys. So, the girls, are going to be coming soon & they are going to be living with us from now on.

Riker - Look on the bright side, maybe Vanessa is really pretty.

Ross - Yeah, maybe Laura is really pretty too.

Rydel - Who knows? Maybe having two more girls in this house will make my life easier, because living with all you doofs is just not working for me.

Riker, Rocky, Ross, & Ryland - HEY!

Ellington - (chuckles)