Chapter 27: Awakened Souls

Hoshi stood on the soft sandy beach, the teal waves were gently splashing against the shore. The warm breeze blew my hair around. I stood there in silence, just staring out at the endless ocean, waiting.

I wonder when Hikari would come back, or if she even would.

The world around me was small, quiet, and peaceful. The palm trees slowly swayed back and forth in the slight breeze. We were staying here on the island, because no one wanted to leave her. No one wanted to move along without her. I never admitted to anyone that, I was beginning to lose hope. But, something kept drawing me to the ocean.

The distant cries of seagulls could be heard flying in the distance. A slight smell of the salt filled my nose. The sun was setting, giving off its fiery colors as it went down over the horizon. The warmth hitting my face.

It will be getting dark soon, but I guess all I could do, was wait here.

I heard footsteps approaching me from the side, crunching in the sand. I turned and saw that it was Hato. I gave her a small smile.

"It's going to be night soon, you should come back to the main island and get some dinner. Sora's mom made meatloaf." Hato said looking up at me.

Things have been a little different between everyone, ever since we had to witness losing Hikari. They have been quiet, not talking to each other as much. Feeling like we can't be happy with her still out there somewhere. Trying to comfort and support everyone, when time still passes by. But, someone still has to keep hope in their heart, to give her the strength she needs to return.

I gave Hato another kind smile then turned towards the setting sun. "I know, thank you for coming out here to tell me Hato."

She turned and looked out at the ocean with me. "You don't have to stand out here alone all the time, you'll start to wear yourself out."

I looked back at her with concern. "We have to wait until the sun sets every single day. We're the only light she has left to follow. This is the place where lost souls are found."

"I know. Hikari went through so much for us. She didn't sacrifice herself without a reason. It was for a greater purpose that we don't even know." Hato spoke.

The rays sparkled on the water. My eyes went out of focus, staring at nothing. We stood in silence, until the light slipped behind the horizon.

Hato looked at me. "I guess, she still needs more time. We've done everything we could."

She started to walk away, I reached out and grabbed her arm. "Hato, just promise me... We'll wait for her. We can't leave her here all alone... When she dose come back, one day. I don't want to lose her again." I held out my pinkie.

She looked me in the eyes. Tears started to come to my eyes. 

Then Hato gave me a warm smile. "Of course... I promise that I will never leave, not until all three of us are back together." She linked her pinkie with mine and gave a little shake.

We lowered our hands. Then Hato gave me a short hug. She turned towards the boat dock.

"Come on, we better get going or else the meatloaf is gonna get cold!" Hato said playfully slapping my shoulder and running away to the boat dock.

I grinned and giggled but before I ran after her, I looked up into the sky one last time. The moon was starting to rise. A new moon...

Some time in the past...

Hikari was at Star Pool Beach, near Sand Dune City. I ran down the sandy hill to get to the water. The sand was still cool without the sun baking it yet from the long day. A grin spread across my face, I couldn't help but let the giggles out. Today was the day after the first spring storm of the year. The morning sun reflected off of the beach glass that had been washed ashore. All of the unimaginable colors twinkled.