True Meaning of Happiness

For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be (Luke 12: 34).

Today I receive all of God's love for me

Today I open myself to the unbounded, limitless, overflowing abundance of God's universe.

Today I open myself to God's blessings, healings, and miracles.

Today I open myself to God's Word, so that I become more like Jesus every day.

Today I proclaim that I'm God's Beloved, I'm God's Servant, I'm God's Powerful Champion,

And because I am blessed, I am blessing the world in Jesus name. Amen.

[Novena to God's Love by Bo Sanchez]

There were three friends who boast their lolos' (grandfathers) wealth.

Friend 1: Guys, let's party! My grandpa gives me P 5,000.

Friend 2: Wow! You're so rich dude.

Friend 1: Of course. Did you know that my grandpa is the owner of 5 grocery stores in the city?

Friend 2: Oooh! But honestly dude, your lolo is poor.

Friend 1: Huh? Why?

Friend 2: Well, my lolo is only the Mayor of this city. So, yeah your grandpa is so poor.

Friend 3: Hah! What kind of lolos you two have. They're so poor. I'm guessing, they didn't even give you proper foods.

Friend 2: Huh? What are you saying? Your lolo is just an owner of a small sari-sari store, isn't it?

Friend 3: Well yes, he is. (Suddenly speaks in whispers) but in reality, he's actually the drug lord of your two lolos who are pushers. Now that you know, don't tell anyone. He's actually in hiding right now.

[I know my joke is corny. I'll try my best next time. Please note, I don't mean to offend anyone. This is just for fun.]

In this world where obesity, stress and depression are normal, success becomes an endless quest for numerous status likes, Youtube sensations, facial evolutions, and job securities.

But what's really success? Is your definition of success based on the standards of this world? Is it based on what other people doing, what other people thinking? If success is based on something tangible, changing, and fleeting, then you'll never get satisfied. You'll always be longing, seeking, and striving for that elusive penetrating sense of contentment and will try to fill your thirst with clothes, money, vices, fame. Sometimes, it transcends into searching for an ideal life partner, or seeking for great breakthroughs...but you'll never ever be contented or happy.

That's why Brother Bo Sanchez boast his accomplishment as being a great son to his parents, loving husband to his wife, and devoted father to his children, more than all of his success in his business, career, and spiritual life.

The True Happiness

I've been experiencing chronic insomnia/depression/anxiety disorder for months. Not that I haven't been sleeping for months. But it happened every month. And when it starts to kick on one particular unexpected night, it will continue to haunt me for days and weeks, until to the point that I no longer have the ability to sleep or feel sleepy anymore. But I'd be so, so, so tired. And to think I still have to survive in the morning, to work and write. Even sleeping pills and multivitamins don't work anymore. Sometimes, I'd have that desperate wish to overdose in pills so I can sleep.

That's when I discovered that I've been overthinking too much. And that I've been overworking. My brain's hypersensitivity comes from overly stressing myself. That I've been writing to be happy. I couldn't find my happiness with my families and loved ones (practically because I'm living alone), and I'm an introvert and hermit so I seldom go out of the house.

That's when I realized that true happiness doesn't comes from wealth, fame, networks, or accomplishments. It's having even a little, tiny, bitsy peace of mind from God. And that peace only comes from our relationship with God, relationship with our families and loved ones, and even with ourselves.

When I try to fill my love tank with accomplishments in writing, I'm toast. Because success like change doesn't happen overnight, it happens overtime. So when you make accomplishment your achievement, it will ruin you. Sure, writing is my calling. But God should be the source of my happiness.

Now, I know that Bro Bo is not only trying to be humble when he says that his success is his family. I understand where it's all coming from.

Today, I no longer write to be happy, I write because I'm happy. And because I'm already happy, I want to transcend and express that to paper, so that someone who read it may become happy like me too. So, it's no longer the basis of who I am. Rather the basis of God's goodness, God's faithfulness. Today, my success is my family and friends. My happiness is being a great daughter to my parents, and a loyal friend to my friends.

Parable of the Rich Fool

Jesus told them a parable.

"There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, 'What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?' And he said, 'This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, "Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, and be merry!"' But God said to him, 'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?' Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God (Luke 12:16-21).

Dependence on God

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life and what you will eat, or about your body and what you will wear. For life is more than food and the body more than clothing. Notice the ravens: they do not sow or reap; they have neither storehouse nor barn, yet God feeds them. How much more important are you than birds! Can any of you by worrying add a moment to your lifespan?If even the smallest things are beyond your control, why are you anxious about the rest? Notice how the flowers grow. They do not toil or spin. But I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass in the field that grow today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? As for you, do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, and do not worry anymore. All the nations of the world seek for these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these other things will be given you besides. Do not be afraid any longer, little flock, for your Father is pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your belongings and give alms. Provide money bags for yourselves that do not wear out, an inexhaustible treasure in heaven that no thief can reach nor moth destroy. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be (Luke 12: 22-34).

# Father in heaven, I'm sorry for not making you our beloved. I'm sorry when we only remember you in times of difficulties. When we don't have anything, we realized you're our everything. Teach us to make you the center of our universe.

What's your basis of happiness? Check out the next issue and discover the other half of this topic. Feel free to comment below.