Chapter 20

Kyôka's face changed from calm and collected, to furious and dangerous as he saw the two wizards run away. "I can't let you leave!" she screamed as she attempted to shoot them with them with her green electricity. But before she could even aim it in their direction, she was knocked back on the ground with a large explosion. Erza had thrown her spear, ready for an oncoming attack any second. Everything was silent as Erza stood there. Then Kyôka shot out of all the dust, pinning the queen to the ground by her throat. Kyôka gazed at Erza with an insane look in her eyes, while her grip tightened ever so slightly. "Finally, a worthy opponent! This will be a challenge, and after I kill you... then your brats are next!" Kyôka screamed. It as if something had been lit inside the queen, something that gave her strength. Erza punched her in the face, causing the demon to let go of her hold on the scarlet queen. "OVER MY DEAD BODY! BY THE TIME I'M DONE WITH YOU, YOU'LL WISH YOU WERE NEVER BORN!" Erza screamed back, her eyes practically glowing red. At that moment Queen Scarlet knew what gave her strength. It was the desire to protect her son, Gray, Happy, and Lucy. And she wasn't going to let anybody down, even if the cost was her own life.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Natsu and Gray were sprinting past the trees, Natsu looking for the willow trees the gave away the location of Mard Geer. "Hey Gray, you sense anything or something?" Natsu asked, looking at his friend. "I'm trying, but I don't really know how that works if I'm being honest. I feel bad enough that I couldn't sense that demon Kyôka, so I'm trying harder. But I don't think it's something you can force" Gray explained. "Gees, I thought you were a Demon Slayer. Even I know everything about a dragon and what to expect when I fight one. And I've never even met one!" Natsu exclaimed, annoying the ice mage. "Well I'm sorry I don't know how my powers work when I never even heard of a demon out of the underworld!" Gray shouted at Natsu, a vein close to popping on his forehead. Natsu's hand suddenly shot in front of Gray, making him stop dead in his tracks. Natsu stared at the willow trees that acted as a wall between the abandon castle and the rest of the world. Natsu's eyes narrowed, he could and Gray could feel the magic energy the portal to the underworld was giving off. Natsu put his finger up against his lips, telling him to be quiet.

"Is that-"

"Yeah, it is"

"You scared?"

"Terrified. Absolutely. Terrified"

Gray's eyes widened at this statement, knowing the pink haired fire dragon slayer was never one to admit he was scared. Sure, the raven haired ice wizard was scared too, no doubt. But even when Natsu's own mother fought him as punishment for sneaking out to train, he would say that it was the least scariest thing in the world. "Don't worry, we'll beat this guy" Gray said placing his hand on his friend's shoulder. Natsu gave a small smile and nodded before he walked forward towards the willows. When Natsu finally stepped past the willow trees, he could see the portal. He could see the water swirling faster than he had ever thought possible. So that's what caused that explosion before that chick ran into us, Natsu thought. Everything seemed quiet, but not a comfortable quiet, a quiet where you were expecting to be attacked at any second. Then, Gray felt it. As if he was struck by lightning. Immediately he shoved Natsu to the ground, nearly getting taken out by a strange light and dark glowing orb shot at them. By the time Gray looked up and the old crumbling castle had already lost three towers, which came tumbling down. "I'm impressed. No one has been able to dodge any of my attacks before" a voice said from above, causing the two wizards to look up. Natsu's eyes practically lit up with his own flames when he saw Mard Geer standing on top of one of the taller willow trees. A tiny smile edged on his pale face. "Mard Geer" Natsu growled, glaring at the raven haired demon. "So Kyôka let you escape? That means she's being held up by that pathetic queen of yours. No matter, the queen will die eventually" Mard Geer said, anger in his eyes. Natsu couldn't help the smirk that came onto his face. "Clearly, you haven't met my Mom. If anything, I'd say Kyôka is good as dead. Especially if she pissed her off. I sure would hate to be in her shoes right now" Natsu said as he and Gray stood up, the fire dragons hands being engulfed in flames. "You could say that again!" Gray exclaimed with a sly smile. The air growing as cold as winter, their breath's becoming visible as well as the air itself in white clouds. "Erza's not going to be beat by some demon anytime soon" Gray said as his right forearm began to be covered in black marking, representing his Demon Slayer magic. Mard Geer's face became what at first looked calm, but then Natsu and Gray realized that it was fear. The markings on the ice demon slayer's arm let the raven haired demon know exactly what he was up against. But it didn't stay long, being replaced by a small smile. "So you're the Ice Demon Slayer I heard about. I can't help but be disappointed, I expected more" Mard Geer said a second before a ice blast shooting mere centimeters past his head. Lord Zeref. Human's really know how to irritate you further, Gray had an enraged face, his hand aimed right at the demon. "Say that again and I won't miss next time" Gray said as he glared. "Why? I was only speaking the obvious," Mard Geer said, smirking. Gray gritted his teeth, glaring at the raven haired demon. "But since you showed me your power, I'll show you mine" Mard Geer said as the ground shook, and giant vines sprouted from the earth, covered in massive thorns as tall as the demon who summoned them in the first place. As they shot into the sky as fast as light, the vines made a sharp turn towards the demon and dragon slayers. Just as they came crashing onto them, they became completely covered in light sparkling demonic purple ice. Mard Geer looked down at at his arm to find it encased in the very same ice, before it expanded into a ice crystal bigger than the castle itself, not too far away. "Great job Gray!" Natsu said with a smile. Gray didn't smile, only took another fighting stance. "Get ready. When he breaks out, you burn him with those flames of yours" Gray said coldly. "Huh?" Natsu asked, looking at Gray with a confused face. Suddenly, the ice crystal that hold the underworld king inside burst into hundreds of pieces, huge blocks of ice every where. "Now Natsu!" Gray shouted at the fire dragon. "Fire Dragon Roar!" Natsu said as flames spewed from his mouth, much like a dragon. No exactly like a dragon. The ice and fire mage grinned. But their smiles vanished the second the fire and smoke cleared. Mard Geer stood tall. His clothes burned, his hair messed up, and his pale skin scratched all over his face and hands. "I normally try to avoid human emotions like fear, envy, sadness. But most of all... anger. Because it is an emotion that can transform a person entirely. But for you two humans, I'll make an exception!" Mard Geer shouted as he began to grow. The bigger he became, the more that he changed, the less human he appeared. His skin once pale seemed to become an otherworldly metallic and he grew enormous wings. His hands and legs turned from human to animalistic. And his head turned into the head of that of a beast. "This," Mard Geer said. "Is my etherious form!"