Sleeping My Way Out Of This One

(Patrick's POV)

"Pat?" Brendon's voice was the only sound in the house. And it was too damn loud. Why was he yelling? How did he even get in? I needed to start locking my damn door. "Patrick, you're fucking late again."

My eyes rolled to the watch on my wrist. I was hella late. It was almost 9:00. There would be a patient waiting outside that locked door in a few minutes. One who needed my expertise. It was selfish of me to be in this emotionally messy state when so many people's lives depended on me.

I shouldn't have gotten into the medical field. I should have done something easier. Something where I wouldn't have to disappoint so many people all the time. I lifted up the beer in my hand. Examining the label on the front. I should have been a bar owner.

"Should I just go get Tyler? Why is your door always unlocked?" Brendon was coming closer to the bedroom. I didn't hear his footsteps but his voice was louder. "He actually did really well yester- holy shit, Pat."

He finally shut up when he pushed open my room door. I could understand his panic. I was sitting on the floor in front of my bed. Empty beer bottles circling me like crowd. Cheering on my negligence. Applauding me for starting my day the same way I'd ended it. A fucking mess.

My head rested back on the side of the mattress. I refused to lay where Pete and I once laid. The floor was going to be my bed from now on. I wasn't wearing anything but a pair of jeans and emotional despair. My cuts were on full display. I didn't even give a shit about hiding them anymore. Anyone who mattered already knew about them.

"Y-You were right." The words hurt to admit. So I took another swig of my drink to ease the pain.

Seeing Brendon's face only reminded me of Ryan. And Ryan reminded me of what he and Pete had done. My bottom lip quivered. My blurred mental state making my emotions charge full force. I fought against the rush of heat behind my eyes. How did I sill have any tears left in me?

My best friend scurried over to me. Instead of dropping down to my level, his hands slipped under my arms. Lifting me up almost effortlessly. Pushing me against the bed with his hip. I had no idea Brendon was that strong. Instead of holding my own weight, I slumped against him. The tears sliding down my flushed cheeks.

"You were right." I said again. Louder this time. Trying to keep my voice from cracking.

"What? Right about what? What's wrong, Patrick? Why are you crying? You're scaring me."

"Pete and Ryan had sex. They had sex that night." Why wasn't he following me? Wasn't it obvious? It so oh so fucking obvious and I missed it.

What you and Pete do is none of my business.

Tyler's words should have been all the evidence I needed and I missed it. Maybe I didn't miss it. Maybe I just refused to see it.

"Ryan was in the hospital." Brendon pushed me off of him. Not in an angry way, but in tired way. Unable to hold me any longer.

"He lied. He was fucking Pete."

"No." He dismissed the idea immediately. His tone desperate like he needed to believe it was a lie. It made me feel bad for him. Almost as bad as I felt for myself.

But denial wouldn't be becoming on either of us. It was time to face the hard, cold truth. We'd been cheated on. "They fucked, Brendon."

"Look, don't drag Ryan into whatever you and Pete have going on." He turned on his heels. "I'm going to make you some tea or something to calm you down. And then we have to get to work."