Chapter 8.

Mystery.

Everything is a mystery. Everyone is mystery. I wonder if my existence is also a mystery. Somehow I manage to let out a sarcastic laugh escape my lips. Should I discuss it with Ron? No. I can't. Specially not about Daisy. He will definitely not believe me.

All the thoughts are battling inside my head and it hurts like hell.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELINA!" Ron comes out of nowhere and shouts in my ear directly hitting the ear drum.

"What? Ron Today's not 18th august-- Today is 18 august! How could I forget my own birthday!" All the thoughts are pushed aside and the thought of me forgetting my own birthday takes over. Well, we all very well know the reason behind such an immature mistake.

"I knew it! I've been noticing you and you seemed lost so I analyzed that probably you'll forget your own birthday so I got everything ready!"

"But I didn't even bought a new dress for my birthday!" I pout. Just then Ron pulls out a white box with my favourite brand's name written on it.

I quickly snatch it from his hands and reveal a beautiful sea blue dress.

"oh my gosh. Thank you so much Ron. It's lovely." i say and embrace him into a tight hug as tears of happiness leave wet patches on Ron's Burberry shirt.

"Now get ready. You have a big boat party to attend and host." Ron says with a smirk on his face.

"You gotta be kidding me! Boat Party! And all this behind my back!"

"That's what you call surprise Elina!" I hit him lightly on his shoulder and he pretends to be hurt and we both burst into laughter.

"Happy birthday miss Elina." Debra joins us with a small birthday cake that she probably baked herself like she does on my every birthday.

"Let me guess, red velvet?" It always have been my favourite cake and I prefer Debra's cooked red velvet cake over any famous brand.

"Like always." She chuckles and I hungrily dig my spoon into the cake and take a mouthful bite.

Moans escape my mouth as my taste buds enjoy the flavor of the cake.

Zayn's POV:

"Yeah, I'll be there. What's the location, again?... Oh, okay. 6:30. i'll be there." The line goes dead before I could say good bye to Ron. He's probably busy in the arrangements.

The big thing here for me is, to face Elina. After what she saw last night, I'm sure she'll have a lot to ask. The fact that she forgot her own birthday sums it up. Now as she has already seen these, should I show them up? Probably not. If others see them too, they'll bombard me with questions and I'm not in a mood to explain it to all of them.

Picking up something suitable to wear on a birthday party has never been such a horrid task as it seems today. The possible consequences of last night happenings cloud my thoughts completely. I feel like I've been left alone in a thick midst of fog at an unknown location.

The confusion still prevails regarding should I tell her or not. She's the only good friend I've got here and I trust her. She definitely believes in my trust upon her and she'll expect me to explain her this suddenly revealed secret. Specially what happened in past few days, somewhere, my concern for her has taken a bigger priority. The "he" who's behind us or me or her, plays an integral role in these incidents.

Finally finding something suitable to wear and picking out a gift, not as posh as high class people give to each other, but this gift is important to be given to her. Strange, right? Important birthday gift. I feel same too.

Elina's POV:

"Hurry up Elina! Or we won't make it on time!" Ron shouts for, what seems like, 50th time.

"I told you Ron I need time to get ready! Just wait in the car already!" I shout back and I can hear him sighing behind the door and walking away, annoyed.

Quickly fastening the earring on my ear lobe, i give a final look to myself and walk out of my room, rushing towards the main door.

I give a last hug to Debra and quickly climb in Ron's car.

"hit the gas." I say and quickly Ron pulls  out of the house. Soon we're joined by many other SUV and Chevrolet with screaming friends roaring music.

As much as I'm excited for the party, a sudden sadness dawns upon me. I've always waited for one person to make an appearance for my birthday. To surprise me, hold me in his arms and kiss my head on the top and say "Happy birthday my lovely daughter."

but, like always, it will remain a wish. All I receive is a giant, emotionless and a lifeless birthday card with his signature, as if he's signing a check or an office deal. And this year, I don't even have this good luck to see his signatures. Work was all that mattered to him and it will always hold the first position in his life despite the fact that he has family who need his love and care and time.

Soon we arrive at the deck from where my birthday ride will sail. I got out of the car and everyone rushed to wish me birthday.

"Guys! Be quick and get on the boat already!" Ron shouts and everyone., including me, quickly rush to the boat.

Loud music is blasting through speakers and everyone is dancing and screaming like crazy. Best quality vines and champagne are being served all around the boat by men in black suits.

I'm standing here with Stacy, an old friend of mine from Jr. high school.

"Um.. hi Elina." i spin around to see Zayn standing in a full gentleman dress, his hair pushed to side in a very decent manner.

" Um.. excuse us will you?" I ask Stacy and she politely agrees. I look back at him and my mind begins to race. Flesh memories of what happened last night come back crawling in front of my eyes and I begin to shiver.

"Uh... Happy Birthday."He holds out a small square box wrapped in a velvet coat.

"Thank you. But it wasn't necessary." I say trying to ease the tension that's building between us and for the exact same reason.

" Please take it." He says sweetly and I couldn't deny him. I cannot deny him ever in my life.

I smile and take the box from his hands and gently open the covering not wanting to destroy the soft velvet. I open it to reveal a thin turquoise and gold necklace that shimmers and looks even more beautiful in the dim lighting.

" Wow. Zayn. this is beautiful. Can you help me putting it around my neck?" i ask and he nods.

I place the necklace in his hand and turn around holding my hair up so that he can easily lock it. The thin chain crosses my face towards the neck. As Zayn locks it his cold hands rub against the bare skin of my back and shivers run down my spine. I feel nauseous and my knees begin to weaken.

"You like it?" His hot breath on my skin and his soft whisper near my ear ignites this urge in my body to fall in his arms and feel the every cell of of his body..

I nod in agreement. "I love it."