Chapter XXIV

Prompto browsed through nearly everything in the shop. He eyed several things and picked up a small box of assorted chocolates, examining it. He couldn't figure out what to get. He looked over to Noctis and Ignis for assistance.

"Hey, guys," he called, earning their attention. "What do you think?" He held up the box in his hand.

His two friends walked over to him. "Well if you wish to put on weight, then by all means, go ahead," Ignis told him.

"It's not for me," the blond explained.

Noctis crossed his arms and smirked. "It's for Lora, isn't it?"

Prompto sheepishly nodded. "I just want to get her a little something. Except... I don't really know what kinds of things girls like."

"Depends on the girl," Ignis replied. "Though for someone such as Lorelai, I don't think sweets would be the right gift for her."

"Plus, things like candy and flowers are way too obvious," the prince added. "Those are the kinds of gifts you buy for your girlfriend. You and Lora aren't quite that close... yet."

Prompto placed the chocolates back on the shelf. "Then what would you recommend?"

Before Noctis could speak, Ignis placed a hand on the prince's shoulder, halting him. "That is something you must figure out on your own," the advisor answered. "But here's a tip - give her something that shows how well you know her."

Ignis ushered Noctis out of the shop with him, leaving the blond alone. Prompto sighed and began looking around again. He thought back on Ignis's words. He knew the advisor was right. He had to find something that suited Lorelai. But what could I possibly give to a girl who once had it all? he asked himself. His mind immediately went to jewelry. Prompto walked over to the small selection of accessories.

He looked over everything, groaning to himself out of frustration. None of the items on display were befitting for a princess. Despite his negative thoughts, his eyes landed on a simple, black band of a bracelet studded with numerous silver stars. He smiled to himself and picked it up. It was so... plain, yet it reminded him of Lorelai. He knew that this was it, he only hoped she would like it. He had just enough extra gil to buy the bracelet and slipped it into his pocket as he exited the shop.

He went over to the diner where Noctis and Ignis stood outside, waiting for their two comrades to return. Prompto approached them, opening his mouth to speak when he spotted a figure heading toward them from the desert. He squinted, recognizing Gladio. But he was shocked to see Lorelai sitting on the tattooed man's shoulder. He instantly frowned, feeling his heart ache at seeing them like that. But as the two got closer, the blond could see the pained expression on Lorelai's face.

"Geez, Gladio, could you walk a little gentler?" she complained to him. "Every step is killing me."

"Kinda hard with this rough, rocky terrain. Suck it up, we're almost there."

With Noctis and Ignis now standing with Prompto, they watched the two approaching. "What's going on?" Noctis questioned the two. "How'd the hunt go?"

"It was a success," Gladio replied. "Unfortunately, we had an unwelcomed visitor join us."

He turned around, showing them the needles embedded in Lorelai's back. Prompto gasped. "What the hell happened?"

Gladio faced them again, showing the disdain on Lorelai's face. "A cactuar, that's what. Little monster ambushed me."

"Bring her to the caravan," Ignis ordered. "Seems we'll have to remove those needles."

The group piled into the caravan. Gladio slowly and carefully pulled Lorelai off his shoulder and sat her on one of the beds, causing her to wince in the process. Ignis seated himself beside her and carefully removed her vest, sliding the material past the needles that pierced right through it. After folding it and laying it aside, he gestured for her to lie down. It took her several moments to slowly shift around onto her stomach, but she managed. Gladiolus left to report to Takka while Ignis worked.