Chapter Nine: All's fair in Love and War

Madi skipped besides Clarke, not really paying attention to the heavy atmosphere that loomed around her. Most of it radiated off of Clarke- who was beyond the point of being displeased. There were too many people that were heading to the transporter so everyone either walked or rode horses. Of the adventure squad, (A/N: You know who I'm talking about 😉) very few people went. Octavia sent Bellamy as both a representative and someone to babysit Clarke while in her murderous state. If she could, she'd keep Clarke from going. But, of course, there was no way that was happening. The only reason Madi was there was because she snuck on one of the structures they used to move the large amounts of food and supplies they had. When they were about two kilometers from the transporter, she was discovered and brought to Clarke. Reluctantly, Clarke agreed to have her stay with the group as long as she stayed away from the front of the group upon reaching their destination.

Bellamy eyed Clarke the whole time. She stood about three meters away- keeping her distance from him. He knew she didn't want to talk to him and it made him feel annoyed and bothered. They had been on thin ice with each other ever since Abby died.

"You know, Bellamy, there was a time where, like my daughter, I didn't like you too much." Abby started, making Bellamy smile. Abby turned and faced him. "But now isn't the time to talk much about the past." She waited a moment before Speaking again. "I have a favor to ask." Abby started pacing. Bellamy grinned.
"What's that?"
"I need you to take care of my daughter." She said. Bellamy waited a moment.
"Uh, okay-"
"Not like that." She interrupted and stopped her pacing to look at him. "You care about Clarke, don't you? I mean, it's obvious you do but... you've really grown to care about her, haven't you?"
"We've known each other a while now... I've tried my best to keep her alive."
"So, yes." Abby concluded. "Good. Here's the thing, it's not enough."
"Huh?-"
"Last time I left her in your care, she almost died. I'm going to be temporarily dead- can I trust you to keep my baby girl alive?" She pressed.

Bellamy shook his head, trying to push the memory away. He needed to understand where Clarke was coming from. Sure, she said some things she didn't mean. But she just lost the only family she had left. She might have been inconsiderate but Bellamy felt he wasn't much better. She was trying to protect Madi. Bellamy could empathize with her at least that much. After deciding he needed to talk to her, he came up beside her and whispered,
"Are you going to avoid me on the way home, too?" He started. Clarke glance his way, not realizing at first that Madi was listening.
"If we go home." Clarke scoffed. Bellamy sighed.
"Clarke, I know you don't like this and I know you're just trying to protect Madi. But we're going to have to consider that war isn't the way to go." Clarke was angered by the comment but noticed Madi looking at her. Clarke groaned internally.
"Madi, how about you go talk to Sarah, huh?" She offered, smiling. Madi looked back to Sarah who held an angry expression. No one could blame her considering she was gagged and cuffed. I didn't do anything- I worked with them, I didn't run of, I DIDN'T KILL ANYONE- and yet these people tied me up- what is wrong with these people! Sarah growled in her head.
"Okay!" Madi smiled and ran off to talk Sarah's ear off. Sarah liked Madi so it wasn't like it was any sort of punishment beyond the physical bondage.
"You really shouldn't start this in front of Madi. I don't want her seeing me argue with anyone- especially you."
"I'm sorry." He sighed. "But this is really important. I understand- more than anyone- how intense the fear of losing someone you love is. I know what that can push you to do. I know... I know you just lost your mom-" Clarke went to interrupt him but he continued. "And you don't want to lose anyone else." They looked at each other as they walked. "If that's what you're afraid of... if that's why you want to go to war... just know, I won't let you or Madi get hurt." They looked at each other a second longer before looking away. Clarke had her mouth in a small frown and eyebrows pressed together. A question ate at her.
"What about you?" Clarke asked and they looked at each other again. "What if you get hurt? What am I supposed to do then?" Her voice cracked a little in what Bellamy assumed to be exhaustion. Really, she was choking down potential tears. For so long, she wasn't sure if Bellamy was dead or alive. Every day, she hoped and prayed that she'd she him someday. Just one more time. There were times she thought, it's been over five years... he's dead... they're all dead, before being reminded: