Chapter 17: The Cost of Friendship

Bellamy heard the cry and immediately pushed Clarke behind a fallen tree to crouch behind. They looked around as they heard a few gun shots.
"I don't see anyone!" Clarke said, looking for any sign of an enemy. Bellamy kept his hand on Clarke's back as he also searched their surroundings. With a shake of his head in disapproval, he said,
"Me either." Before getting out his radio. "Mitch? What the hell happened?" Bellamy barked through the radio.
"False alarm. Sorry. There was a deer that was startled and someone started shooting. Soon after that, hell broke loose." The voice sounded just as annoyed as Bellamy looked.
"I said to keep your eyes sharp! Not shoot at any thing that moved and scare us all to death!"
"Sorry, Bellamy. It won't happen again."
"Damn right it won't." Bellamy spat and stood. "I guess it was nothing. We should start moving again if we want to make it before dark." Clarke nodded and stood with him before they walked off.

***

Raven licked her chapped, dry lips, before attempting to swallow. Hunger tore into her stomach and thirst made her mouth dry. She let the cold stone wall, that made her shiver, support her weight as she, otherwise, was limp and hardly moved. Her eyes were dark and her skin was covered in goosebumps.
"We need a plan." Echo  croaked, sharing the same state as Raven. They hadn't eaten in, what felt like, days.
"Got any good ideas?" Raven asked.
"We can call the guards in... kill them... walk around the halls until we find a way out."
"I asked if you had a good idea!" Raven glared, earning one from Echo in return.
"I didn't hear a better one from you!"
"Waiting for help is better than your plan! We're both too weak to fight anyone." Raven raised her head to look at the ceiling and closed her eyes. Echo sighed and looked to the other prisoners.
"Hey!" Echo tried to yell but her voice cracked. "Hey! Are any of you alive?" She waited for someone to move but nothing. Slowly, Echo leaned forward and fell on her chest. Raven looked over at her with a focused gaze to watch what she was trying to do as she started dragging herself to the pile of bodies. Her shackles were put on her feet which made her able to reach them and feel for a pulse for the one closest to her. She pressed her fingers against the man's neck and waited. After a moment, she closed her eyes and sighed. "He's dead." Echo said. Raven looked to the ground as Echo moved to the next body and put her fingers to her neck.

Raven didn't see a point in fussing over them. They didn't know the people lying on the floor. What could they possibly do with a half dead prisoner? She played with her fingers and suddenly thought of Octavia. What was she doing right now? Was Octavia looking for her? Did she make it to safety? Was she even alive? These questions started swarming her mind.

"She's alive!" Echo called for Raven, smiling. "Come on! Help me drag her over to us more. I want to see if she's hurt or just needs some food and water." Raven jumped into action and started dragging herself over to the girl and Echo as a way to get her mind on something else. Slowly, they dragged the girl to as close to their side of the cell as they could before Echo started looking for wounds. "It doesn't look like she's been tortured yet. If we can get her some water and food, she should be able to make it."
"They won't even give us food." Raven groaned. Echo looked the girl over another time. If we can make ourselves strong enough, we can get out... I just need some food and water, Echo thought before using all her arm strength to drag herself to the cell door and start hitting it with all her might.
"HEY!" She yelled. "HEY, WE NEED WATER AND FOOD!" She hit the door again. "I THOUGHT YOU NEEDED HOSTAGES! DO YOU WANT US TO DIE?" Echo beat more."OPEN THE DAMN DOOR, NIKOLAI! I KNOW YOU'RE LISTENING!"

***

Madi was still taking a nap, thankfully for Sarah, who waited for Clarke and Bellamy by sitting next to Madi's sleeping state. It was finally getting later in the day and she just couldn't wait for everyone to go back and get away from the transporter.