Chap.25

The following days had been a blur. I was constantly dragged in and out of my cellar, I was used to being thrown back and forth; from guard to guard. I was used to being drenched in Mickey’s saliva as he spoke.

My only motivation was Cameron. I stayed and suffered for him because I belonged with him. I had nobody else but him, no friends and no family.

Day after day Mickey had nagged me about my mother, firing questions which I refused to answer.

“I’ve had just about enough of you, young lady. I will ask once more; Where is Sheryl?!” He snarled. My eyes widened as I looked up at him. Sheryl.

“How do you know her name?” I asked. He knew my mums name, he easily tracked me down. Maybe there was something I was missing out on. My eyebrows knitted together as I tried to patch up the pieces to find an answer.

“Where is she?!” Mickey yelled, snapping me out of my thoughts. My lip trembled as I quietly began crying, “I don’t know. Please just leave me alone!” I begged.

“Your lying!” He roared. I hadn’t lied, it was true I had no clue where she was; nor did I want to know. She left me behind many years ago. I was young and alone but she didn’t care otherwise she would’ve returned.

She never said goodbye or even told me she was going. She left just like that. Tears began pouring out my eyes as I blocked out the sound of Mickey’s high-pitched curses.

“Have a nice day, I’ll pick you up at 3” My mum called from the car. I nodded and gave her a warm smile as I watched her roll up the window and drive off.

“Stacey!” Lucas called as he ran over from his Dad’s car, “Come to my house tonight?” he grinned.

I shook my head, “Sorry, I cant. Mums already picking me up at 3 today.” I apologised.

“Ok, Lets go” We hooked our arms together and strolled into the school.

~

I stood outside the school gates waiting for my mum to arrive. The rain was thudding down on me and puddles were forming over the ground.

It had been an hour since the school bell dismissed us and I have been outside waiting since yet my mum still hadn’t arrived. Where is she?

The traffic must be slow.

I was slowly losing my patience as I waited in the cold. My uniform soaked in the rain, making them feel heavy and stick to my cold body. My teeth chattered as I hugged myself in the rain. The sky darkened by the thick layered gloomy clouds.

Maybe I should just walk?

I couldn’t help the fear for my mother. Maybe there was something wrong?

I wasn’t entirely sure weather I should walk or keep waiting so I did what I thought was best; I walked to the Reception in a slow pace, trying my best to avoid puddles.

“Are you alright there, darling?” The receptionist asked as she looked down at my shivering form.

“Y-Yes thank you. P-Please could you t-tell my mum I w-walked home. S-shes late” I explained. Her eyebrows creased in concern but she finally nodded. After telling her my name and she wrote down my message I left the building, quickly making my way home. It was getting rather dark and I was beginning to feel frightened.

As I approached my house I could see my mums car was gone. I chewed my lip but walked up the path that lead to the porch. I lifted the doorstep mat, picking up the key for the back door. Yes, my mum never kept the front door key here; she thought it was clever to keep the back door key there instead so if somebody were to try and get in the obvious root it wouldn’t work.

I unlocked the back door and walked into the house, “Mum, im here” I called although I was sure she wasn’t home.Silence.

“Mum?” I was once again answered by silence. I shifted my way to the kitchen to check the fridge for any notes; Nothing apart from my School Parents Evening reminder. I frowned.

I carried my dripping back upstairs, placing it on the bathroom counter. I walked to my mums door which had been left closed. I knocked gently to get no response.

I slowly opened the door to see an empty room. It looked duller than usual; I stepped in and noticed the wardrobe door had been left ajar, I nervously walked over to and swung it open to reveal empty hangers.

I was confused. Where was my mum, her car and her clothes?

~*~*~*

My body felt numb. I remembered how I’d searched up and down for a single note; I never found one. I remembered how I found her items scattered in different places as if she were in a rush to get away… In a rush to abandon me.

I remembered her last words; I never expected them to be lies. ‘Have a nice day! I’ll pick you up at 3’. That day had been one of the worst & she never came to pick me up.

I remembered how lost and empty I felt. I had no one; From that day onwards I grew up alone. No one there to look after me.