Chapter 11

Greypaw made his way back from the gathering with his brother Brindlepaw. Rainpaw was with Spiderwillow and was still speaking to the medicine cats. They would always do this after a gathering and Rainpaw would meet EagleClan's medicine cats.

Brindlepaw looked nervous and asked, "Do you think I was being too nice to that EagleClan apprentice,"

Greypaw chuckled and said, "You were being too stupid. You were tripping on your paws for that she-cat, but she didn't even notice."

Brindlepaw growled and said, "That's not funny. She seemed really nice. It's not like I would fall for her beside at a gathering. I'd never go against the warrior code. It's just a little crush,

Greypaw rolled his eyes. If his brother did somehow appease that apprentice and then have kits with her like many stories  Greypaw had heard. He would definitely stand beside him.  Rainpaw may have her worries and doubts, but Greypaw has loyalty and that's all that matters.

Greypaw made his way back to camp and wondered if his mentor Shadewing was anywhere near. He didn't go to the gathering and Shadewing was asking about a cat named Morningpuddle. He didn't see him anywhere on the gathering strip.

He did, however, see the tom on the deputy branch and wondered if he knew the deputy of HawkClan.

Greypaw padded to the entrance of the warrior den and saw Shadewing.

"Did you see Morningpuddle? I haven't seen him since two gatherings. I haven't been there in two moons, probably because last time I was at a gathering I started a fight," Shadewing mewed.

Greypaw eyes widened and said, "You started a fight at the gathering, but your so calm and always keep  your emotions hidden,"

Shadewing rolled his eyes and asked, "Did you see him?"

Greypaw nodded and said, "I saw him on the deputy branch,"

Shadewing eyes widened and said, "He's their deputy?"

Greypaw nodded and wondered what the big deal was.

Shadewing's eyes had a hidden mischievous glint and said, "That's awesome for him!"

Greypaw didn't notice his smirk and smiled. He was glad the older cat wasn't mad for his old friend being deputy. At least their deputy was nice. Songmist may be an oldish cat, but Greypaw didn't want to see him leave his deputy position.

Greypaw saw his mentor put his head down and rested his eyes. Greypaw felt his eyes grow heavy and padded into the apprentice den. He slept and yawned.

When Greypaw woke up he heard hissing in his ear. "Your going to miss a very important day of battle training,"

Greypaw groaned and got up. He didn't like battle training he never knew what the older cat wanted him to do. He groaned and glanced around. Their was no way he could just go into a training when he just woke up.

Greypaw felt his ears flick up with a noise.

"Shhhh! Be quiet they'll hear you mouse-brain," a cat hissed from behind the bushes.

Greypaw thought he heard something and made his way to the bushes. Shadewing hissed at him again. Greypaw narrowed his eyes and hissed, "I thought I heard something!"

Shadewing shrugged and said, "Fine we'll check in the bushes. If their's nothing there you'll be nicked for it,"

Greypaw groaned and glanced at Brindlepaw and Squirrelpaw training together. The only other time he trained with someone was the first day.

Shadewing head dived out of the bushes and yowled, "Their are cats spying on us!" He quickly ran through the entrance and Greypaw couldn't see where he was going. Greypaw quickly followed after him. Shadewing was on top of a cat.

Greypaw made his way to the battle and hissed at the tom. He looked terrible. His legs were tight around his bone. His muzzle reeked of crowfood. His pelt showed through his ribs. Greypaw hesitated and looked at Shadewing. He had the same pity look as well.

Their was another cat. Behind the bushes, a she-cat. Most likely his friend. She was shaking the bushes and she stepped out as well.

She took a deep breath and said, "We didn't mean to spy on you, it's just you had so much food and we were going to steal some when you guys were asleep,"

Shadewing eyes narrowed and said, "We have barely enough food to feed our own! How are we suppose to have rouges come and steal food from our queens and kits?!"

She lowered her head and said, "We thought it was the few cats in the clearing. We didn't know you guys had kits, and queens. Were just very hungry..."

Greypaw looked at Shadewing and said, "Let's bring them to Thornstar. He'll know what to do with them,"

Greypaw looked down at the tom. He shoved him to his feet and nipped at his paws. They made their way to camp with the two cats and told them to stay their. Greypaw quickly got Thornstar and he came out perplexed.

Thornstar looked at the two cats and said, "Take one prey each and then leave. I do not want any cats starving, but you did not have the option for stealing our prey,"

The two cats dipped their heads gratefully. The she-cat took a large squirrel. The tom took a vole. They padded out of the camp and lowered their heads while doing so.

Greypaw looked at the sky. The sun was already near sunhigh. He watched his mentor and they padded out of camp. He smelled the scent of the two cats, but he didn't understand why they haven't left the territory. He stretched his limbs and began the walk to the training clearing.

Shadewing smiled and said, "Let's see that basic attack I showed you a moon ago. The claw swipe,"

Greypaw looked at his opponent the belly was a nice spot, but theirs no way he could defeat the tom long enough to hit him their.

Greypaw leaped to the side of Shadewing and tried to swipe at his side, but be side stepped and Greypaw felt air beneath his paws. He practiced the move over and over until he landed a successful blow of the side.

He looked over to his side and saw Sagepaw leaping at him.