Chapter 15

The words floated in the air; “maybe we should break up”. Austin turned me towards him.

“What?” he whispered barely audible,  

“All we do is fight,” I said with my eyes still closed, I didn’t want to say it, but it was true.

“But you promised,” he said a little louder, like a child begging their parent for something.

“I know bu-” he cut me off.

“You promised Carson. You promised me you wouldn’t leave me, you are all I have. Without you I’m lost Carson, please” he begged pulling me tight as he hugged me.

“I know Austin, but I don’t know,” I whispered. Fight for me Austin, fight .

“To be honest, you’re the only one I have spent so much time and effort on,” he whispered feeling defeated.

“Maybe we should be just friends Austin,” I whispered. Fight for me, please.

“The problem with being friends is I have to watch you be with someone who doesn’t deserve you. Especially when I know I can treat you better, if you give me the chance.” He said cupping my face in his hands. It couldn’t be; I saw a tear slide down his cheek to his chin. I just looked into his reddening eyes. I was speechless.

“You are the reason I smile, I love, I breath, I live. You are the only reason I’m sticking around this place, and if you leave me, I’ll fall apart again.” He said and closed his eyes, to try and stop his tears from falling, but they already were. I leaned into his face and kissed when his tears had fallen.

“I know it’s hard to love someone like me, but I will love you forever,” he said with his eyes closed. I kissed his softly

“Loving you was one of the easiest things I ever had to do,” I said and looked into his green eyes. I felt guilty for making him this upset

“I just want to know you will fight for me. If you chase me if I walk away, I don’t want to give up on you, and I sure don’t want you giving up on me.”  I smiled through the pain. I read his face, anger.

“So you don’t trust me? That’s why you just put me through that?” he said loudly.

“What? What are you talking abo-” I said but he stood up.

“You don’t trust me enough to think that I would leave you? You tested me because you wanted to see if I loved you? Well I don’t, but I don’t think you feel the same.” He said backing up.

“Austin! Wait!” I begged.

“No save it Carson, you were right, we should break up.” He said backing out of the door. And he was gone, everything came crashing down. I fell to the ground and began crying. He was going to come back through the door and hold me in his arms any minute now.

I was wrong.

3 weeks later

I was at my usual shift at the diner, chasing Bentley around from customers.

“Bentley! Come here right now!” I said and he came walking over. I sat him on one of the stools and got back to my job.

“Table 7 Carson!” my boss yelled from the back room. I moaned to myself and turned to Bentley.

“Stay right here,” I said and turned to the table. It was a young couple. The boy had his arm wrapped around the girl as she giggled in his ear. I rolled my eyes and walked to the table. I pulled out my book, ready for the orders.

“Oh! Hi Carson!” the cheery voice called, my eyes shot up. It was Anna, the red head from my Calculus class. The other pair of eyes shot up at me. Austin.

“H Anna, what can I get you,” I said not looking at Austin.

“Oh, Austin is going to order, he says he comes here all the time.” He smiled at him, rubbing his stomach. Yeah, he did come here all the time. When I was working, to keep me company and watch Bentley.

“A cowboy burger, with extra French fries and hold the lettuce, for her.” He smirked. Exactly what I always ordered. Was he trying to show me that he was over me, that he replaced me?

“And I’ll have the same thing,” he smirked at me. What a jerk, I thought as I walked away.

“Carson wait!” I heard Anna yell from behind me. I turned around and walked back.

“What’s up?” I said getting ready to change her order.

“Are you going to Logan’s party tonight?” she smiled. I felt Austin look up at me, waiting for an answer.

“Yeah! Are you going!” I said trying to be as cheery as her, Austin saw right through it.

“Yeah, Austin and I are going,” she smiled at him and he kissed he. He kissed her, but looked at me with a look I couldn’t read. Anna giggled and I walked away, disgusted. It hurt me to see him with her, why did it have to end. I walked back with their orders.

“Two cowboy burgers, extra fries and hold the lettuce,” I said placing the plates in front of them. I smiled and walked away.

“Waitress!” Austin called back. I turned around anger filling me.

“What?” I said with attitude. He didn’t say anything; he just shook his empty cup. I grabbed it out of his hand, and it took everything I had to not throw it in his face. I came back 10 minutes later with the drink and placed it on the table.

“Can we have the check,” Austin said and I went to get it as quickly as possible so he could leave. I grabbed the check and went back to the table, not before almost falling to the ground. When my face was an inch of the ground, Austin caught me.

“Just as clumsy as ever,” he winked at me and I through the check in his face. I turned around, but not before I heard Anna and Austin fighting behind me. I laughed to myself; at least he was still his angry self.