Chapter 18

I woke up the next morning with a smile on my face. I got ready because I got to pick up Bentley from my grandmothers today. I grabbed my keys and ran out the door. I was driving when I got a text from Austin.

Austin:"Heyy babe. Want to go to lunch?"

Me: I have work. Maybe another time?

Austin: I always sit with you during work, that can be our lunch date :)

Me: okay. I'll see you there. In picking up Bentley.

I shut my phone and got out of my car. Something felt wrong. I didn't think we could just go back to the way we were. Not after he was with another girl. I shook it off because Bentley came running out the door.

"Carson!" he yelled and ran into my arms.

"hey bud, ready to go to work?" I laughed as I hugged him.

"grandma told me that your going to be mommy, is that true?" he asked. His big blue eyes looking up at me. I shot a look at my grandma and she put me hands up.

"we will talk later okay? We have to go," I said and waved goodbye to my grandparents. We drove to work and when we got there Austin's car was already there. He was standing there talking to a woman. He slammed his fist against the roof of the car and when I got closer I saw it was his mother.

"hello Carson," she said warmly. His father was standing behind him. He didn't even acknowledge me.

"hello sir" I said as politely as I could. He didn't look at me.

"Carson sweetie. How are you?" his mother asked hugging me. I always liked her.

"I'm good ma'am. How are you?" I smiled.

"oh great! I was wondering if you wanted to come over for dinner tonight!" she smiled. I looked up at Austin. He was angry. He shot his mother a look.

"well how about just us girls go out for dinner?" she said wrapping her arms around me.

"mom stop," I heard Austin say.

"Dont tell your mother what to do," his father growled. Why were they both so angry?

"I don't know. I have Bentley." I said and pulled him up in my arms.

"hi Bentley!" she said and played with his hand. He buried his head in my chest.

"okay! Maybe another time!" she said and gave me a hug. I felt Austin slide his hand in mine. I looked up a him and smiled. The anger was put of his eyes as he kissed my forehead.

"bye mom," he said and gave her a little smile.

"bye sir," he said with no emotion. We walked into the diner and I sat Bentley down in the booth closest to me.

"I got him. Don't worry." Austin smirked and held Bentley upside down. I went to the tables and started working.

When work was over Austin came over to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"let's me take you somewhere." he said cooly.

"but what about Bentley?" I asked. Austin was carrying Bentley and turned to him.

"want to go somewhere champ!" he asked throwing him up a little.

"yeah!" Bentley screamed.

"okay okay we will go," I said getting in my car. I shut my door but as I buckled my seatbelt. Austin opened the driver seat door.

"what?" I asked. He leaned down and kissed me gently.

"ew!" Bentley yelled in the backseat. We both laughed. I turned back to Austin.

"what?" I asked.

"let me drive," he smirked.

"no, i can do it." he just looked at me and raises his eyebrows.

"ugh! Fine!" I said an got to the passenger seat. I hears Austin laugh slightly and I smiled to myself.

"where are we going?" I asked and Austin slipped his fingers with mine.

"don't worry, we are here." he said and let out a deep breath. I looked up. Angle Winged Cemetery. I looked up at Austin but he was already getting out of the car. I sat there, frozen. He went to the back away and pulled Bentley out. I saw him standing in front of the car, Bentley in his arms. I unlocked the door and got out. Austin smiled weakly at me and grabbed me hand. He lead the way, I didn't say a word. We stopped in front of a small tombstone.

Savannah White

2000-2005

Daughter, sister, best friend.

Austin stood there. Motionless. He turned to Bentley.

"See Bentley, this is my sister, Savannah. She was your age. She was so beautiful. You would have liked her." he whispered.

"what happened to her Austin?" Bentley whispered back at him.

"she died. A mean man got to her." he whispered even lower.

"I would have protected her," Bentley said laying his head on Austin's chest.

"I know bud. You have to protect Carson now. She's all we have." he whispered.

"no, I have you Austin. And you have me." he said and gave Austin a hug. I don't know if it was the lighting, but a single tear ran down Austin's cheek. I stood there and wrapped my hands around his waist.

"how are you doing Savannah. Your all better now, nothing will hurt you," he whispered to the ground. Austin turned to me.

"I had a dream the other night." he said, I nodded my head in encouragement. He let out a small chuckle.

"I saw Savannah. She was running around. He blonde hair flying around. Then she spoke to me. She just said 'don't worry brother, in okay now. I'm happy. I'm having a good time' and that was it" he said and more tears came out.

"it's okay baby, in here." he said and he was trembling in my arms. I put Bentley down and told him to just sit down. Now I was crying. It hurt me to see him so upset.

"it's my fault. It's all my fault." he trembled in my arms.

"Austin, it's not your fault. You need to know that." I said and Bentley stood up.

"Austin. I think Savannah would want me to protect you from bad things now. Like how Carson keeps the monsters out from under my bed," he said and hugged Austin.

"thanks bud, I really mean it." Austin said whipping his tears. I think I should let know Austin that he wasn't the only one who lost things. I'll tell him tonight.

"let's go home," Austin said and we got in the car and drove home like nothing happened. Not this time Austin. We were going to talk. When we got to my house Austin still hadn't said a word the whole car ride home. He carried Bentley inside and brought him to his room. He walked up the stairs and I followed. He reached Bentleys room and I stayed in the doorway and watched. He talked to Bentley about his day.

"today, I woke up and went to see your beautiful sister. She's really something huh? Well we sat and had lunch, kinda and then we went and visited savannah. I think she would have liked you, a lot. She was your age. That's why my parents always want to see you, they think you are special and want everyth-" he looked down and Bentley was asleep in his arms. He gently laid Bentley down in his bed and stood there. Looking at him. He turned out of the room. I guess he don't know I was there, because he jumped when he saw me. I smiled at him and motioned for him to come downstairs. We got to the bottom of the stairs and he spoke.

"I used to do that to Savannah all the time to put her asleep. I would just talk about my day in a calm matter," he said and sat down on the couch. I sat next to him and wrapped my arms around him. He pulled my into him and I wrapped my legs around his waist and laid my head on his chest. He rubbed my hair and kissed the top of my head.

"thank you," I whispered and looked up at him.

"for what?" he asked.

"for finally letting me in" I whispered and lifted my head up to kiss him gently.