Cancellation Station

"Are you doing anything today?" Bella asks me the moment I enter the kitchen.

At first, I think it's a snide comment on the fact that I'm still in my pajamas at almost midday, as my morning lesson was cancelled. But after a second, I realise that she's genuinely asking a question.

"Uh, I have school at twelve, and then I have det-!" I trail off, not wanting to reveal to Bella where I'll be "-I have something at three"

"I was thinking we could start on your wedding dress today. Because naturally you, Paige and I will have the featured dresses of the Ball" Bella asks, taking a sip of the coffee in her hands "Do you have any ideas yet?"

I try and mask my surprise at Bella engaging in a normal conversation with me. I pour myself a bowl of cereal, and take a seat at the breakfast bar. "I think Jake and I are going to go as Giselle and Edward from Enchanted"

"Edward?" Bella repeats, the surprise obvious in her face "He's not going as Robert?"

"No, he thought the costume would be better for Edward" I explain quickly. Bella's face is full of mirth and I can tell she's dying to say something scathing, but she bites her tongue.

"With a costume like Giselle's, that'll take a lot of work" Bella explains "Would you be able to have a fitting tomorrow?" Bella asks

"After school, yeah" I say, eating a mouthful of cereal. Bella has a smile on her face, and I can't stop myself from asking the next question "I'm surprised you won't be busy Friday night. You know, the dinner with Nathan"

"We haven't arranged our date yet" Bella informs me, a smirk on her face "But I assume it will be Saturday night, which is the best night of the week"

My next mouthful of cereal is strangely hard to swallow.

"So, it's a proper date then?" I choke out, the cereal sticking in my throat. I cough a couple of times, and take a swig of orange juice.

"I assume so" Bella tells me with a coy smile. Her voice has a striking sing-song quality to it this morning.

"That's strange, thought you were seeing someone" I inquire lightly, and Bella laughs, her tone light and airy.

"I was seeing someone, not anymore" Bella announces, flipping her dark hair over her shoulder. "Besides, Nathan is so handsome now, only an idiot would say no to him"

"He's not handsome" I mumble, but Bella has clearly clocked out of the conversation. She picks up a pen and pad from the counter and begins sketching. "What are you drawing?"

I stand up and walk behind her, peering over her shoulder. I take my bowl of cereal with me, and continue to eat my breakfast. "Can you get any louder?" Bella complains, and I mumble at her through my mouthful of food.

"It's good!" I manage to get out, and Bella gives me an obvious look.

"Of course, it's good. I'm designing my dress" Bella remarks. I roll my eyes, and at that moment my phone buzzes. It's Paige, telling me she's outside.

I dump my bowl in the sink, and head out of the door. It's crazy how this time last week Nathan had only just come back to town.

It feels like he's been here forever.

I make my way out of the door, down the drive and into the passenger seat. Paige gives me a large grin when I get in.

I'm about to smile back, but then I remember how she was acting yesterday and a pout overtakes my face.