Which Way Is the Music Facing?

"Did you know Henrik's was here? Is that why you brought me?" I ask Nathan as we stroll down the beach. I'm down to my remaining bit of ice cream, and my shoes are in my hands, my bare feet feeling the sand between my toes, occasionally getting splashed by the sea.

The water is a little chilly, but Nathan insisted on going in, and honestly, I'm so distracted by him I can barely tell what the temperature is like.

"Maybe I did. That would be telling. And would also give you the impression that I know what I'm doing, and I can't have that" Nathan jokes, and I roll my eyes, eating the last bit of my ice cream cone.

Now seeing my hand is free, Nathan reaches for my hand, and takes it in his. I curl into his arm as we walk down the beach, a sense of absolute peace washing over me.

All the problems of Brightmore just seem so far away right now.

"But how did you know about Henrik? The only person I told about that was Paige" I push, and Nathan wiggles his eyebrows.

"Maybe, and I mean maybe, I decided to give Paige a call and ask her what the best way to make you feel better would be" Nathan informs me, and I raise an eyebrow.

"And her first suggestion was to drive to hours to see a wedding dress I picked out nearly half a year ago?" I deduce, and Nathan laughs, shaking his head. He gives my hand a squeeze.

"No, her first suggestion was that I marry you" Nathan announces and I groan in embarrassment. Just once, Paige could play it cool for me. "But when I said that might be a tad difficult to arrange in a day, she suggested this instead"

"You didn't have to do the big grand gesture you know" I point out to Nathan, and he shrugs. I lower my voice "I think we both know it's you"

"What's me?" Nathan asks, stopping walking. He flops down into the sand, and I sit beside him. He slings an arm around my shoulders and I snuggle into him.

"You know it's you" I repeat, not exactly sure I can say the words out loud at the moment. I stare out at the sea instead, musing how calm it is today. I'm not sure why, but I expected it to be stormy.

"I wonder how Anastasia is doing" Nathan wonders out loud, and I have to laugh. Nathan looks at me, his eyes shining, and I find myself pressing my lips to his.

I stroke the side of his face with my hand, running my fingers over the stubble on his chin that's starting to form. I never really noticed how clean shaven he usually is before.

The stubble suggests he's loosening up slightly, especially around me. We're becoming comfortable together again. And that's a nice idea.

"I imagine she's just fine. She's re-united with her lobster family, and her long-lost lobster love, and now they're relaxing with their lobster babies safe under the sea" I speculate, and Nathan gives me a bemused smile "What?"

"I take it you've thought about Anastasia then" Nathan laughs, and I blush "No, it's nice. To see you not worrying for once. You seem relaxed. Dare I say it, even, happy?"

"I am happy" I answer immediately "I'm happy here with you. It's easy not to worry when you're so far away from all your problems"

"That's true I suppose" Nathan responds, and his lips brush the top of my head. I close my eyes for a moment, leaning into him, listening to the sound of the waves.

"We could just stay here forever, you know" I suggest, my eyes still closed and keeping me in my imagination. I feel Nathan smile against my forehead.