The Bermuda Triangle

In the West of the North Atlantic Ocean, there's a part of the water commonly referred to as the Bermuda Triangle, or even the Devil's Triangle. It's notorious for having planes, boats and people disappear in the region and never resurface.

There are a lot of conspiracy theories surrounding the Bermuda Triangle, perpetuated by myths such as Christopher Columbus's account of seeing a meteorite strike the sea, and Shakespeare's play 'The Tempest', which is allegedly based upon a real-life shipwreck.

Naturally, there are also more ridiculous theories surrounding the Bermuda Triangle, such as alien involvement and it being an entrance to an alternate dimension. I'm not quite sure I believe these though.

But the rest is all pretty believable, even if it is newly acquired information. These are all facts I learned this morning as I researched the fastest way to get to the Bermuda Triangle and disappear. This isn't something I'd usually look up, but it seemed necessary today.

Especially considering I woke up in bed next to Nathan Dean.

He's not awake yet. He keeps mumbling in his sleep, but I can't quite make out what he's saying. Maybe I can sneak out without him waking up.

When I woke up, approximately ten minutes ago, I found myself in a tangle of arms and legs. Somehow during the night Nathan and I had crossed the invisible lines dividing the bed, and moved into the centre.

I woke up to find his arm slung over my waist, with my arm covering his, my back pressed against his chest. His head was resting in the gap between my shoulder and my neck, his face pressed against my bare skin. It was peaceful when I was asleep, but the feeling quickly faded when I woke up and realised what was happening.

My first instinct was to panic and jerk away, but doing this would have immediately woken Nathan. Instead, I managed to pretend to roll over, and gently pushed Nathan back onto his side of the bed.

Then I grabbed my phone and began researching the fastest way to get to the other side of the world.

I've been in limbo for about ten minutes now, trying to decide what to do. Really, I should find a way out of the treehouse, and away from Nathan. I can't hide behind my phone screen forever, as much as I want to.

Tentatively, I put my phone down on the side. It makes a louder noise than I wanted, but Nathan doesn't stir. I breathe a sigh of relief, and slide a foot out of the duvet, placing it on the floor.

"Good morning" A cheerful voice says, and I jump, pulling my foot back into the bed, pretending I wasn't going to leave. I roll over to face Nathan, who's got a bemused smile on his face.

"Hello" I reply, my voice quiet. I'm aware I'm still wearing my makeup from last night, and it's probably smudged all over my face. I wipe under my eyes, hoping I've cleaned it up slightly.

"You still have paint in your hair" Nathan points out, reaching a hand out to touch it. What was meant to be a mocking gesture becomes frighteningly intimate within a second.

I pull away, and sit up in bed, facing away from Nathan. "What is going on?" I ask, running a hand through my hair "Have you forgotten that I have a boyfriend? What the hell am I doing in bed with you?"

"Woah, Maddie, calm down" Nathan comforts, reaching out a hand towards me "Nothing happened! It was just a stupid little bet- which I won, by the way, cause I managed to last the night in the treehouse- but that's it!"

"You're aware that you cuddled me, right?!" I accuse "Without my permission!"

"Well then I deeply apologise, I didn't realise I was doing it, I was asleep" Nathan tells me, his apology genuine, but it's not enough to calm me down.