The Empire Strikes Back

At seven in the morning, I'm standing outside of the bridal salon, knocking on the door.

It's crazy to think how everything has come full circle. I didn't see this coming. I didn't expect this. I didn't think I'd be back here, knowing Paige is upset inside and waiting to speak to me.

That everything we did in the meantime to try and save the salon was all for nothing. It didn't make any difference at all.

When Paige opens the door, her eyes are less red than I expected them to be, but she still looks like she's in pain and that breaks my heart.

She opens the door to let me into the salon, and I realise all the lights are out. Paige doesn't seem to want to turn them on, and I don't push it. There's a faint bit of light streaming through the gaps in the blinds, and it's enough to illuminate the salon softly.

"How are you?" I ask, knowing it's a stupid question but that it has to be said. I know how she is. It's exactly the same as she was, only worse, because the sense of hope she had is now gone.

Now we know there isn't any saving the salon, no matter what we do.

"I'm okay, I guess. It was just a shock. I can't believe it's happening" Paige admits, flopping down on the sofa. I take a seat beside her, and she leans backwards, slouching down so the back of the sofa is in the crease of her neck.

"When do you leave?" I ask, and Paige shrugs.

"Not sure yet. Grammy's been in contact with an agent about selling the salon, so that'll be happening this week, and then she's been looking at properties in Jamaica..." Paige sighs, running her hands through her hair "It's all such a big mess"

"I can't believe you're really leaving" I sniffle, tears pricking my eyeballs. I blink them away, wiping away the ones that stray and fall down my cheeks, and Paige grabs my arm.

"Don't start crying, please, if you start I'll start" Paige begs and I nod, swallowing and trying to keep my emotions at bay, but they're threatening to erupt at any moment.

"I just can't stand the thought of you leaving" I admit, wrapping my arms around her "I thought we'd fixed everything. I thought that you'd get to stay"

"I know, me too. It's like every time I get settled somewhere it's time to move again" Paige admits, shaking her head, pulling away from my hug "I just want to stay here, in England, with my best friend and my boyfriend-!"

"Marcus is a boyfriend now, is he?" I tease, trying to lighten the situation. I smile, my tongue poking through my teeth, and Paige breaks into giggles, unable to stay solemn in the light of such good news.

"Yes, he is. It's official" Paige grins, and I wiggle my eyebrows at her "Don't make a big thing of it though, it's not going to last. We both know I can't do long distance..."

"You never did relationships until Marcus, so I wouldn't say that" I point out optimistically, and Paige rolls her eyes.

"I can't change that much. And it wouldn't work, Jamaica is just too far. We'll just have to break up" Paige concludes, and I shake my head at her "It's a shame, we could have double dated, me and Marcus, you and Nathan"

Paige notices a look on my face before I even have time to realise that I've made it.

"What is that face? What have you done?" Paige asks me immediately, and I get up from the sofa, wrapping my arms around myself defensively.

"Nothing! I haven't done anything!" I protest, but Paige raises her eyebrow suspiciously "I haven't! And it's nothing we need to talk about now!"

"Oh, so this 'nothing' must mean there is something!" Paige concludes, and I curse internally at my word choice "Please just tell me, I'm desperate not to hear about my own problems for a while, a distraction would be welcome"