I. The Devil in Flesh

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. Local time is 3:15pm and the temperature is 32 degree Celsius," the captain announced. "On behalf of Singapore Airlines and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice stay!"

Getting my sunglass from my bag, I put it on. I waited until the seatbelt sign was off bago ako nagsimulang tumayo.

"Have a nice stay, Ma'am!" the stewardess said. I just politely nodded at her, aware that my stay here would be nothing but nice.

As soon as the plane landed, I connected my phone to the local wi-fi, and searched for the place of Molly's interment. It wasn't announced before since the Esquivels were known for their high regards to privacy—of course, I should know.

"I told you I should've sent someone to pick you," David said.

"I told you, I'm fine," I replied as I checked the plate number of the car that stopped in front of me. "Here's my Uber ride. I can manage, David. Stop worrying. I'm not a kid."

I heard him sigh. "I know... when will you be back?" he asked.

"I don't know."

"Mallary..." he dragged. "You said you'd only go to say goodbye to Molly."

I remained silent.

"She's dead, Mall."

I chose not to reply to that. Alam ko. She's dead. I wasn't in denial—well, I was for the first five minutes... Alam mo 'yun? Just last week, we were talking. She was telling me how she's finally coping up... How she's finally able to look at guy's in their eyes.

She was getting better.

Then this.

Fuck.

But it's already been a week since I was informed about Molly's death. Tanggap ko na. But that didn't mean that I would be just fine about it.

"I'll just viber you when I'm at the hotel," I said before quickly ending the call. David meant well, alam ko, but the last thing I needed right now was him preaching.

After almost an hour, I finally arrived at the hotel David booked for me. Mabilis akong nagcheck-in. I decided to take a quick nap, before deciding to order food. It was almost night time, anyway. Baka bukas na lang ako pumunta kay Molly.

It's not like she's gonna go anywhere, anyway.

Habang kumakain ako, mabilis kong binuksan iyong TV. The sound of the Filipino language automatically calmed my nerves. For the last few years, I'd been staying in New York—careful not to make any association with any Filipinos. But now, I willingly went here. It was like I was asking for trouble.

But I suddenly froze when Molly's face flashed on the screen.

"Pang-apat na araw simula nang kumalat ang balita ng pagkamatay ng nag-iisang anak ng mga Esquivel, nananatili pa ring tahimik ang kampo ng mga Ramirez," sabi ng reported, at saka mabilis na pinakita siya.

My hands began to tremble.

My chest began to tighten.

"Nathaniel Ramirez! Ano'ng masasabi mo na ikaw ang sinisisi sa pagkamatay ni Molly Esquivel?" sabi ng reporter habang mabilis na naglalakad pabalik sa sasakyan iyong lalaki. Guards were protecting him... as if he needed protection after what he did to Molly.