XXII. Revealing Faces

I was panicking. So fucking bad. Shit! What did Andres mean?! Alam niya kung nasaan si Thomas?! But Thomas was just upstairs! In Molly's bathtub! Alam niya? Nakita niya ba ako?!

Fuck!

My whole body was trembling in fear. A part of me wanted to just escape—to just hide and disappear once again. But another part of me was telling me that I should stay and finished what I started.

I left Molly here.

I left her alone knowing how our parents are.

I owed her this much. I owed her justice for the ending that she got.

I went to the comfort room and washed my face. I needed to calm down—I needed to. I wouldn't be able to think clearly and straightly if I would be panicking like this. Mas lalong mapapahamak ako kung hindi ako mag-iisip nang maayos.

Paglabas ko, agad akong uminom ng tubig. Pilit kong kinalma ang sarili ko habang iniisip ang lahat ng bagay na ginawa ko. I knew no one followed me when I brought Thomas to the house... At mas nakaka-sigurado ako na walang nakakita kay Thomas nang dinala siya dito. My father had always worked clean.

That's the reason why he's at the top.

He never lets anything get ruined... and that's why it was bothering me so much kung paano nagawang magsampa ng kaso ni Molly laban kay Nathan. Because knowing my father? He'd clean this silently. Like he did with me. He wouldn't let Molly taint the name that he worked so hard to build.

Something must've happened.

Something should've happened.

* * *

Nathan was looking at me worriedly when he arrived. I was acting weird. Paano ako kakalma kung alam ko na nasa taas lang si Thomas? That it was just a matter of time before his corpse began to stink?

And that I was desperate for a solution because I could feel it in my bones that Andres was on my tail?

"Are you okay?" he asked again.

I nodded, plastering a smile on my face. I could still salvage this. I didn't reach this far only to back down right now.

"Yeah... How was your meeting?"

"Fine."

I nodded again. "Andres came." Agad umalerto ang mga mata niya. His whole attention was on me, waiting as I said another word. Hindi ko pinahalata na nararamdaman ko rin ang kaba na nararamdaman niya. "He... he said that he knows where Thomas is."

Quietly, I studied his face. I wanted to know if he was in on this, too. If Andres already talked to him. If he was wary of my presence right now, like I was of him. Hindi ko na alam kung kanino ako magtitiwala... Hindi ko na alam kung sino ang dapat pagkatiwalaan...

I didn't know who was telling the truth anymore.

Heck, I couldn't even discern the right from wrong anymore!

But Nathan just stood up, and got his phone. He was standing a few meters from me. His voice wasn't loud, but I could see from where I was sitting that he was arguing on the phone.

And then he looked at me.

He looked at me like something was wrong.

Shit.

Did Andres tell him his suspicion? Hindi ko alam kung ano ang gagawin ko! Should I run? But what if—

"Was that Andres?" I asked when Nathan ended the call. He was still looking at me, like his eyes were trying to fin answers from mine. Pinilit kong kumalma ang sarili ko. Panic would take me nowhere. It would only make things worse than they already were.