Chapter 50 (I)

Where humans seek to have answers to anything outside of their comprehension, they use science and logic. Anything that could rid them of their vulnerability. Because what are we humans other then animals, out to kill. Except what makes us different from the rest of the species is our ability to process and analyse various emotions that make us human- a being distinct from animal. We do not just possess logic and emotion, we also possess knowledge and the intelligence of how to use it wisely.

But then there was some of us, who tend to ignore the emotional side of things and solely focus on the logic in order to use that knowledge, not for other or the benefit of helping others but rather only themselves.

That's basic human nature.

Why be so selfish?

Because it gives you power and control, something that humans desperately seek.

Isn't that how the universe works?

Isn't that how humans evolve?

Survival of the fittest.

And that's exactly what Shehryaar Ghulari desired.

There were moments in his life that weren't of any value. They were merely chances and opportunities that he needed to climb the ladder towards power. Same goes for people, nothing but pawns at his disposal.

And then there were things that held value that ensured many successful outcomes in his favor.

And in all of this, he was the one in control and he was the one in command. And he reveled in it.

Because they all served a purpose to increase his influence and dominance. And it would boost his ego and give him a sense of superiority and the arrogance of it would make him forget just how out of control things can get sometimes.

And then, there were some matters in which he was powerless.

Vulnerable.

Almost Human.

These were the moments that made him realise just how weak he could be because after all, He wasn't God. He was just a mere human. And when all attempts at logic fail, all that's left is the soul.

Because it's not just about logic anymore, emotions, a cognitive function of the brain also gets involved.

And for the first time, Shehryaar felt his emotions override his logic.

When he had rushed to the hospital with Anissa, she was bleeding too much. Her words:

"Save the baby."

They kept resonating inside his head.

She is pregnant? How could that be? He thought. Fuck. How could she be pregnant.

To say that it came as a shock to him would've been an understatement. He had never thought that she would've gotten pregnant. They had unprotected sex only once and that too on their first time. After that he was careful. Then was it from their first time? Without a doubt, it was.

He had no idea how he should've reacted to that news.

He had known himself to deal with any and every situation.

But He just didn't know how to deal with this one.

Considering how emotionally detached he was, he couldn't understand how he should deal with a situation like this.

All that he was taught from an early age was how to deal with situations without getting emotionally involved.

And it was always easier that way.

That emotional bluntedness-- it made his job and his existence easier.

Because all that he was taught was to survive; After all, only the most powerful deserved to live.

Isn't that how evolution works? Survival of the fittest.

And he had never doubted it.

Not until now.

He was never taught anything normal: no morals, no familial values and no humanity, thus paving way to an impaired sense of conscientiousness; where you are inflexible. You are taught to only recognise your rights and needs while the rest are cattle, to be used and disposed of.

All that his life foundation was based on was pure animalistic and self centred instincts. Only know how to manipulate everything around himself to their full potential, taking advantage of each and everything that could possibly benefit him in any way.

Using fear as a weapon and feeding off of it.

He wasn't taught how to properly express or process his emotions.

And that made his life easy when dealing with certain emotions.

But ever since he met Anissa on that one fateful night, he just didn't know how to deal with her. And when she had entered his life, it was all an emotional swirl.

And now, every emotion that he felt was amplified and out of control.

When he saw her setting flame to the entire room, he began to get so angry that he had never been before. Already he was furious with himself for the events that had come to pass over the evening and now this. And then his anger grew more fierce then a wild fire. And he let his impulses and instincts take over.

When it concerned Anissa, he was always too impulsive.

And it resulted in this. He was a usually calm and composed person but with Anissa, his emotions were always out of his control and he was someone who just didn't know how to handle his emotions that's why he always blocked them out.

She wasn't suppose to get pregnant. That wasn't suppose to happen. But it did happen. And now what? With a fall like that? His thoughts were all messed up.

I didn't mean to push her. It wasn't suppose to happen. Yeah I was going to punish her but not to that extreme. I knew her body was too weak. He thought.

"Mr. Ghulari?"

Shehryaar was pulled out of his thoughts. He realised that his head was slumped between his shoulders as he sat on a bench outside of the operation theatre. He raised his cold grey eyes to a middle aged lady standing before him in blue surgery attire.

He quickly made an assessment: her features were soft and her brown eyes held an emotion; pity and sympathy.

Two different emotions that he could understand but he never felt them.

And he immediately knew the results before she could utter them out to him.

"You're wife is stable now. She had a spinal hernia that resulted in massive internal bleeding. We were able to fix it in time before any real damage could be done. She won't be able to move for a while. Thankfully, it didn't damage any of the nerves that innervate her legs so she'll be alright. We've shifted her to the ICU just in case" She informed.

"She's pregnant." He found himself mutter lowly. The doctor passed a kind sympathetic smile, her gaze turning remorseful.

Again, another emotion he couldn't muster up.

"I'm sorry. She was pregnant. But as a result of the haemorrhaging, she lost the baby. I'm really sorry." She uttered.

Shehryaar nodded. The doctor understood that he might need his space so she left him.

**********

I will update at my own pace. I'm an extremely busy person, with medical studies and clinicals to attend to.

If you are so impatient for the story then go to rafishfiction and buy it. If u love this story so much then support it by buying it. If not, then stop ordering me for updates because I will update at my own pace.

And no, I will not give longer updates.

I'm sorry if I come out as rude but I'm just tired and I want to rest so please, I would love some encouragement. Thanks