Chapter 28

G: Omkaraji, stay within your limit. You cannot just lift me like this. I am a... You know what forget it...

O: Gauri, tell me...

G: I said forget it... (Thinking) I need to change the topic now. What do you want to show me?

O: Something that you always wanted to see...

G: Are you trying to rub salt in the wound?

O: Well, more like experience. Come with me.

Gauri follows Om.

O: Gauri, just stay outside for a second. I need to set it up and then I will call you.

Om closes the door and Gauri waits outside.

G(Thinking): It is really hard to understand him. One time, he asks me to leave, another time he asks to not to leave and now stay in one place. God, why can't his demands be consistent?

Om opens the door.

O: Come inside.

Gauri steps inside.

All of sudden, she gets hit by the smell of flowers. Lilies to be more exact. The sound of birds chirping, kids running. And then, a girl laughing. Laughing her heart around. Gauri instantly turns to the source of the sound.

G(Thinking): That laughter... I have heard it before.

And, then all of sudden, she hears the sound of water and she gets sprinkled by water. She just stands there memorized and then starts to twirl. Gauri starts to laugh and then instantly stops.

O: Gauri, my art just used to be on a canvass but I wanted to fulfill your wish and create this piece so it becomes an experience. An art experience. I recreated the time I met you the first time. I can still remember every single moment. 

G: But, why?

O: Because, you wanted to see my art and I knew that was not possible. You told me that art can be treasured by visualizing it in your imagination and that is what I did here for you. In a way... you were my inspiration. Thank you, Gauri.

Gauri looks at Om in shock.

G: Inspiration...

Om falls on his knees and holds his hands.

O: And, Gauri, I am so sorry. I am such a bad friend and I let my insecurities take over my common sense. Please forgive me... Please give me another chance. 

Gauri slowly gets on her knees.

G: Om, I will not forgive you because in friendship, there should never be forgiveness. Just promise me that you will learn from this mistake.

O: Gauri, I promise.

G: Also, please give your dad another chance.

O: I cannot, Gauri. He hurt my mother and me a lot so how can I forgive a man like him?

G: But, he has reformed now and wants another chance. I gave you another chance, so why can't you do the same?

O: Gauri...

G: Om, I understand but please try.

Gauri walks away, leaving Om in the room.

Om runs to Gauri.

O: I will try but it will take some time.

G: Fine, as long you try, I am happy.

O: But, there is one condition.

G: Condition? Now what Om?

O: I am introducing this piece and the party is happening at the mansion. It is more like a fundraiser. I am planning to donate all that money for a good cause. I want you to be there when I introduce it. 

G: Me... but why? There will be so much people there.

O: I do not care but you have to be there. 

G: Fine, but I will wear my niqab. 

O: Why? Why are you scared of these strangers? Let them say whatever they want.

G: If you want me to come, then you have to let me wear it.

O: Fine... do whatever you want. I have asked the designer to get you a dress as well.

Om walks away.

G(Thinking): Shankerji, please help me and make sure nothing bad happens at this party.