12.

I smiled at Elias as I fed him a spoonful of avocado that I purée myself. He began to bounce in his high chair, letting me know he liked it. Elias is currently seven months and just keeps growing.

"You like it, Baby?" I asked as I wiped his mouth with his bib. He kicked his little legs, making me laugh. This was his first time trying avocado. He's such a picky eater.

Nicholas walked into the kitchen and went straight to the fridge. He started at USC and he comes home every other weekend. "Mama didn't go grocery shopping this week?"

"She's at the store now. She's been really busy." I told him as I continued to feed Elias.

Nicholas walked over to us and frowned. "What are you feeding my son?"

"Avocado." I replied.

"Why are you feeding him that nasty shit?" He said.

"Excuse you?!" My mom shouted.

"Oh, mama! I didn't know you were—please don't hit me!" Nicholas said frantically.

"Go get the rest of the groceries out of my car before I fuck you up." I laughed as I watched Nicholas run out of the kitchen. "That boy gets on my nerves."

"Elias likes avocado." I told her.

"Aww look at him. He's eating it so well." My mom said as she walked over to us. "Is it good, Elias?" He smiled and kicked his legs again.

"He's so cute." I said, kissing his avocado covered lips.

"When is Angelo and his mom coming?" My mom asked.

I sighed. "They'll be here soon." I wasn't ready to face Angelo, but it's been three months and he hasn't seen his son. "What time is it?"

"Almost one." My mom said.

I gasped. "Oh God. They'll be here in a minute! I lost track of time!"

"I'll finish feeding him. Go get ready." My mom said, taking the food away from me.

I got up from the chair and rushed upstairs. I took a quick shower and got dressed in a gray bodysuit with a gray sweater to match. I slicked my hair into a bun with middle part. I heard the doorbell ring as I slipped on my slides.

"Nicole! Yo baby daddy's here!" Nicholas yelled.

I chuckled a little bit as I grabbed my things and went downstairs. Angelo stood by the door and gave me a small smile.

"Where's your mom?" I asked.

"Uhh—she was never supposed to come. I just told you that so you would let me see my son." He said.

I sighed. I led the way into my kitchen where my mom was holding Elias on her hip. "Elias." I said, making him turn his big peanut head. "Daddy's here."

I took him away from my mom and tried to hand him to Angelo, but he was holding onto me for dear life.

"C'mon, little man." Angelo said. Elias reached for him and Angelo took him from me. "I missed you, son." He kissed Elias' forehead. "I missed you too, Nicole. You look good."

I slightly nodded. "Thanks. We should go now." I headed towards the door with Angelo following me.

-

"What you've been up to?" Angelo asked me.

I looked at him from my menu. "Just working and taking care of Elias."

"Where do you work?"

"I'm a receptionist at Crenshaw in the front office. My mom hooked me up." I told him.