18.

I sat on the couch with Elias as I held an ice pack on my nose. I knew it was broken, but I was scared to go to the hospital because I didn't want them to suspect anything.

Elias kept looking at me with a confused but concerned facial expression. He knew something was wrong with me because I looked nothing like this when I put him to bed last night.

Angelo came through the door with flowers. I just stared at him as he came and stood in front of me. "I'm sorry about this, baby. I was just angry. You know I didn't mean it." I didn't say anything. "I leave to go back to Texas tomorrow."

"Do me a favor." I said. "When you leave, don't come back unless you're visiting Elias."

Angelo looked at me with disbelief. "You're breaking up with me again?" He asked.

"Yes, Angelo. Look at what you did to me." I replied as tears ran down my face. "Our son doesn't need to see me like this."

"You're breaking up with me for that nigga, huh?"

"Angelo, please—"

Before I knew it, Angelo threw the flowers at me and began to attack me with his fists. I tried my best to protect my face and body, but was unsuccessful. Elias' screams and cries couldn't even protect me from the abuse.

Angelo grabbed me by my throat with both hands, cutting off my airways. I looked at him with pleading eyes as I gasped and coughed for air.

"You're not getting away from me so easily this time." He squeezed my neck a little tighter before letting me go.

I began to gasp as the air tried to refill my lungs. Elias climbed on top of me as he continued to cry. I looked at Angelo with teary eyes. I couldn't believe he just abused me in front of our son.

-

I stepped into my tub filled with hot water and bubbles. The water hit my bruises causing a soothing sensation to go through my body. My bath would've been more relaxing if I had my phone, but Angelo destroyed it the other day.

When I dropped Angelo off at the airport this morning, I felt relieved. It seemed like he's gotten worse. It's like he's taking everything out on me and I'm terrified. I should've listened to my mother and Kian. I feel so stupid.

I spent about thirty minutes in the tub before getting out. I dried then moisturized my body with shea butter. I slipped on some lounging clothes before I went to go treat my face.

The swelling in my face was gone, but I was still suffering from a black eye, slightly broken nose, and a split lip. I also had Angelo's handprints on my neck. I didn't see myself going out in about a week or two. I was thankful that it was the summer time so I wasn't missing out on going to work.

I let out a big sigh and went to go slip on a pair of my Nike slides. I grabbed my purse and keys then went to get Elias who was sleeping in his crib.

I walked out of my house and locked the door. As I turned around, I saw Hassan and Kian walking up to my porch. I stood there frozen as I held onto Elias.

"So, is this why you weren't picking up the phone?" Hassan asked, pointing to my face.

"I—I don't have a phone right now." I replied.

"Where's your phone, Nicole?" Hassan said.

"It's broken."

"You really pissing me off, Nicole. I don't even feel bad for you. That's your stupid ass." Hassan retorted.

I burst into tears. "I'm sorry. I don't know what to do. I'm scared."

"Get your shit together, Nicole!" Hassan shouted, making Elias jump out of his sleep.