17.

I sat in the car with my mom as we drove to my house from LAX. Elias was in his car seat asleep. The plane ride back from Texas was smooth, but I kept think about the conversation and kiss that happened between Angelo and I. It brought back old feelings and I'm thinking about giving us another chance.

"You've been quiet since we left Texas. What's on your mind?" My mom asked.

"You're gonna curse me out if I tell you." I said.

"What's going on, Nicole?"

"I—I'm thinking about getting back with Angelo." I stuttered.

"You're thinking about getting back with a man who beat you, cheated on you, allowed the woman who he cheated with to diss you and hurt your baby? Meanwhile, you have a man here in California who treats you like a queen and treats your son as if he was his own. Okay, Nicole." My mom said.

I was taken aback by my mother's response, but I didn't say anything. The rest of the ride was silent. Once we reached my house, I managed to grab Elias and our luggage. Kian's car was in my driveway, so I knew he was here.

I walked into my house and Kian quickly came out from the kitchen to help me out. "Hey, little man." He said to Elias as he grabbed the luggage out of my hand. Elias smiled as Kian kissed his forehead. Kian look at me. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay." I told him. "Something smells good."

"I had a feeling that y'all were gonna be hungry, so I cooked."

I smiled. "Thank you."

Kian looked at my into my eyes, making me look away. He grabbed me by my chin and made me look back at him. "What's bothering you?"

"I don't want to talk about it right now. I'm exhausted. I just want to eat then go to sleep." I told him.

"Okay, I'll go put this in the room and I'll meet y'all in the kitchen."

I nodded. I walked into the kitchen with Elias in my arms. I fixed a plate for myself and made sure I put enough on there for Elias as well. Kian joined us a few seconds later. I began to feel a little guilty because I did plan on telling him about me reuniting with Angelo and making things work.

-

Kian laid down in the bed next to me and wrapped his arms around me. "What's up with you, Nicole?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You've been acting really strange with me since you got back." He said. "Did something happen in Texas?"

I looked at him and sighed deeply. "After everything calmed down, Angelo and I talked a little bit and we ended up kissing. We're thinking about getting back together."

Kian sat up and frowned at me. "You serious?"

"Don't be angry at me." I begged.

"I'm confused, Nicole. Why would you go back to a man who caused you so much pain?" He asked me.

"We're just gonna see if we can make things work, Kian."

"If it didn't work the first time, then it won't work the second time." Kian got up from the bed and slipped his shoes on. "If you and Elias need anything then call me."

"We can still be best friends, Kian." I reasoned.

"I can't be best friends with someone who I'm falling in love with." He said.

I allowed a few tears to fall as I felt my heart beginning to break. I began to contemplate whether or not I was doing the right thing.

"I don't want you to leave." I told him as he gathered some of his things.