"Christian" Swear Words

I've been meaning to write this chapter for awhile now, so I'm finally getting to it today. It is more serious than most of my other random chapters are, but eh, sometimes seriousness is required. Anyways, this is why I do not use the so-called "Christian" swear words. I will give the definition of each word here.

Gosh: the euphemistic alteration of "God". This word was first recorded in 1750-60 and is used as an exclamation or "mild" oath. So there you have it; the word "gosh" is the exact same thing as the word "God". It is pretty obvious, as it is used as "Oh my ____", just like when one takes God's name in vain. Not only that, but it starts with the first two letters in God's name.

James 5:12 (KJV) says:

     "But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation."

Heck: the euphemistic alteration of "hell". This word was first recorded in 1850-55, and it is used as in "What the ____", just like when people use the word "hell". Also notice that, once again, the first two letters in both words are the same. By the context "heck" is used, it is clear that it means the exact same thing as the word "hell".

Dang: the euphemistic alteration of "damn". It is used in the same context, once again and, as before, starts with the same first two letters.

Now, there is also the word "darn". When used in context, this word isn't bad, as it means to mend clothing with rows of stitches. There's also "a darned place", which refers to "an old sock full of darns" (my Star Wars socks fit that description! XD). But, I believe that "darn it" or using "darn" in the place of "dang" or "damn" makes it just as bad. It is, once again, used out of context, so not only does it make no sense, but it is making it just as bad as the other two words. And, once again, it starts with the first two letters both "dang" and "damn" do.

Freaking/Frigging: the euphemistic alteration of f___ing. These words originated in 1965-70 and, as I just mentioned, means the same thing as the "f" word. These two words are two that I absolutely cannot stand ("gosh" being next in line, if not tying with the other two). These words are absolutely not Christian swear words, as is made clear right here in this definition. And, while the first two letters may not be the same, all three still begin with the letter "f".

Now, these next two words are considered to be actual swear words, though some Christians do not think they are bad. I'm going to give reasons as to why they are.

Pissed: Urine, drunk, intoxicated to anger, go away.

This word can be used as "piss off", or "take a piss",  and is also said to be vulgar. Now even if it isn't a bad word, it is rude and can still mean a bad thing. God isn't a bad word, but taking his name in vain is. Hell isn't a bad word, but it is when you use it out of context. Even the word "ass" isn't a bad word, as an ass is a donkey. It is only made bad by people out there who started calling people such things. So again, it is rude, therefore, should a Christian use such words?

Psalm 19:14 (KJV) says:

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sigh, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."

Bastard: a fatherless child or a child who is born to unmarried parents.

Some Christians don't think this word is bad, either. After all, it's in the Bible and God said it, so it isn't wrong, right? Wrong. Again, this word is rude. If you call someone a bastard but don't even know if his/her parents are married or not, that is plain rude and being ignorant. Even if the child is fatherless or born to unmarried parents, is it the child's fault? No, it is not, therefore, the word bastard is not only wrong, but it is rude.

Ephesians 4:32 (KJV) says:

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

I am honestly disappointed when Christians use these words above. They ought to know better and, if they read their Bible, they would see that God says in James 5:12 (which I posted up above) not to swear at all. Let your yea be yea, and your nay, nay. This would include words that are used in the same context as the bad words.

James 3:10 (KJV) says:

"Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be."

In fact, all of James 3 talks about the tongue, and how no man can tame it, but that we must watch what we say. Just as your mother has surely told you not to say anything if you can't say anything nice, God tells us the exact same thing.

Even words such as "stupid" and "idiot" can be made bad. Before you say something like that, just question yourself. "Is what I'm saying honoring God? Is this what Jesus would say?" and such things. I will admit that, when I get frustrated and angry with my mom's husband, I say some pretty rude things. Not to him, of course, but I rant to friends or just think a bunch of things in my head. So I'm not judging those who use these words, of course, as only God can judge (and that is way worse than being judged by man), but sharing why I believe these words are bad.

I believe I've covered everything I wanted to. Thanks to those who read this chapter, and thanks to those who have stayed with me in my previous random book! You guys are awesome! As always, God bless!