Chapter 15: Crimson & Copper (i.e. Jeonghan's Final Request)

Joshua picked up a small, stuffed lilac penguin and fondly stroked its soft fur. "I like this. I think I'll take it with me."

Jeonghan sidestepped a high metal rack bearing aquarium-themed merchandise from plush toys to glass figurines. "Is it scented?"

Joshua regarded him with a blank stare. "What do you mean?"

"Let me see." Jeonghan buried his nose in the penguin's soft stomach. When he pulled away, he closed his eyes in pure bliss. "Lavender," he breathed.

Joshua inhaled the calming aroma, and then exhaled a sigh. "Even better." He placed his elbows on the counter and glanced at the chair where the cashier should have been sitting. Then he moved away and began a treasure hunt of sorts for anything that caught his eye. "It feels strange not having to pay for things."

"Better get used to it," Wonwoo advised. "This is how we're gonna live from now on."

"Wonwoo, come look at this!" Jeonghan held a rainbow-painted clay fish in his hands.

Jeon seemed puzzled. "What's it for?"

"You insert your coins at the top of the tail, and they pool in the fish's mouth."

"So...?"

"It's something you keep by the door. It collects your change and keeps it safe for the next time you go out."

"Oh, I see."

Joshua used this moment to break away in favor of Seungkwan's company. Boo was standing in the corner, browsing through a display of under-the-sea coloring books and a vibrant assortment of pencils and crayons.

"This place reminds me of my childhood," Seungkwan mused.

"How so?"

"There's a place called Hanwha Aqua Planet in Jeju. I used to go there all the time with my parents when I was young."

Joshua picked up on the sad yearning in his friend's expression. "You must really miss Jeju."

"Sometimes," Seungkwan acknowledged. "Though, to be honest, I try not to think about it. That way, it's easier to forget the pain—"

CRASH!

Joshua's eyes grew wide at the sound of the crash. He recklessly dashed through the maze until he came to Mingyu's aid. Kim was leaning heavily against a teetering metal shelf that was threatening to fall and crush him. He was nursing his left hand, the bandages stained copper, a grimace twisting his handsome features. Mingyu's forehead was soaked with perspiration, his cheeks a fiery red, as if he had recently coated them with blush, and a very faraway look in his eyes, like he was about ready to faint.

Joshua grabbed him by the arm and pulled him to safety. The shelve gently swayed into place, and no harm was done. Mingyu fell to his knees on the tile, sheltering his injury in the nook of his chest, his one good hand struggling to support the deadweight of his weary body.

"Jeonghan!" Jisoo cried. "Wonwoo! Somebody, come quickly!" With each word, his voice rose in urgency and pitch, until his friends came running.

"What's the matter? You're screaming like someone died—" Wonwoo skidded to a halt, his eyes coming to rest on the body of his suffering friend. Mingyu was shaking and whining, half-delirious with fever. In that moment, everything stopped. A world without Mingyu would be a world not worth living in.

Wonwoo knelt on the floor and clasped Kim by the shoulders. Contained within this one comforting touch was all the love and support he could muster. "Lean on me," he whispered. "Don't try to fight this all on your own. I'm here for you." Mingyu found relief in his friend's words, as well as his sincere concern for his wellbeing—this is true friendship, he thought—and in that moment, all his fears faded away, for he knew he couldn't have been left in more capable hands.