Chapter 23: Hunger (i.e. JiHan's Pit of Despair)

The air inside the recreation center was overly warm and tinged with chlorine. Two large pools connected by a narrow opening below the wall that divided them (to allow water flow) took up a good portion of the floor. Pool equipment, including polo nets, kickboards, and plastic rings, was scattered all around, so it was almost impossible to avoid tripping on something.

"Let's go for a swim," Jeonghan suggested.

"In this cold?" Joshua was already shivering. "I don't think so."

Jeonghan dipped a cautious toe into the pool, which sent a ripple across the water. He looked back at Joshua with wide eyes and said, "No, it's heated."

"How wonderful," Joshua said sarcastically. "Shouldn't we be looking for Vernon, instead of fooling around in here?"

"No need. It's obvious he's not here. The first thing Woozi would have done upon arrival is clean up the place. It's a mess." While Jeonghan was talking, he had stripped down to a white t-shirt and a pair of athletic shorts. Then the shirt was on the floor, revealing his bulging arm muscles and toned abdomen; he had the figure of a dancer. Jeonghan discarded his clothes in a pile by the vacant lifeguard stand and rolled his shoulders a few times to loosen up before his swim. Soon he stood at the edge of the pool, eyes closed, head bent, back angled, and dived into the water with little a splash. With the fluid intricacy of someone who was born to be a swimmer, he cut through the water almost effortlessly and swam several laps.

Joshua watched him impassively from the side, his gaze never leaving his friend's sleek form for more than a second at a time, lest something went astray, and Jeonghan was in need of rescuing.

The wind was beginning to pick up outside, causing the glass doors to rattle violently. Jisoo's attention strayed at the sound, and when he turned back to the pool, Jeonghan had disappeared under the water. Joshua stood up, feeling uneasy, and searched the water for even a glimpse of a shadow. Suddenly Jeonghan popped up out of nowhere and nearly gave him a heart attack.

Yoon splashed water his friend's way, soaking the hem of Jisoo's shirt.

"Ah, chincha!" Joshua complained. "When are you going to stop acting like a child?"

"You're no fun anymore."

Joshua glared at him. "I wonder why."

Jeonghan gestured to the pool. "Come join me. The water's fine."

"No thanks. I just don't feel like it."

Jeonghan liked to get his way, and he scowled when his friends refused him. Slender fingers skimmed the surface of the water before he held his breath and went under.

Jeonghan felt the tension in his muscles ebb away as the warm water relaxed his body and mind. But as time went on, he came to realize that Joshua's silence was very abnormal. To keep afloat, Jeonghan rested his elbows on the pool wall. Touching the bottom was not an option. The royal blue tiles were at least six feet below him.

"You okay?" Joshua just shrugged, and Jeonghan couldn't get another word out of him. "Wait here. I'll take a quick shower in the locker room, and then find something for us to eat." Joshua nodded; he seemed to cheer up a little at the mention of food, but still no words left his lips.

~.~.~

Before they left Diamond Recreation, Jeonghan checked the storage room for canned goods, but the shelves were empty. Joshua was beginning to feel lightheaded, but Yoon encouraged him with the phrase, "If we keep looking, we're bound to find something."

Hours passed. Many shops were searched. Not one scrap of food was found. Jeonghan was trying hard not to panic. Circumstance was wearing both of them down, but Joshua looked ready to collapse. Jeonghan clasped his friend's shoulders.