Chapter 5

SAMS POV

At about 6:30 that evening we ordered pizza for dinner, meaning we ordered 5 pizzas for the 6 of us. The boys eat a lot.

Once the pizza arrived we all filled our plates and sat around the kitchen, eating in a comfortable silence.

Michael walked over to the fridge and opened it up, peering in.

"Does anyone want a beer?" He asked, holding up a beer, the name foreign to me.

"I do." I said, my hand raised slightly. The words slip out of my mouth before I even think.

A few more yeses and we all hold beer bottles.

Charlotte and I are now seniors in high school and I already have my college lined up, so although drinking is illegal, I just go with it.

---------------

2 hours later and I'm on my 3rd beer, everyone else far ahead. Charlotte was on the couch laughing with Calum and Michael, telling terrible knock-knock jokes.

I'm sitting on the counter talking to Ashton & Luke.

Out of nowhere, Luke walks over and stands between my legs, leaning against the counter, facing away from me. Although I was surprised, I didn't push him away, instead I lean down and put my head on his shoulder. The alcohol is making me brave.

"Can I tell you a secret?" Luke whispers to me, turning his head slightly.

I nod, smiling.

"You're pretty." He says, laughing.

Drunk Luke is just how I imagined him, like a 2 year old child.

I've never pictured myself here. Luke Hemmings, telling me I am pretty. It feels like a dream.

"Come on, I'm tired." He says, pulling me off the countertop by my hand into the living room.

I sneak a peek at Charlotte over my shoulder as I pass her by. Her eyes go wide as she looks from my face to Luke & I's hands intertwined. Her and Cal are getting pretty cozy too, his arm is wrapped around her and she is snuggled into his side. I give her a quick thumbs up and turn away.

Luke drags me to another couch, on the opposite side of the room. I sit down and he lays across the remainder of the couch, his head on my thighs.

My hands instinctively move to his hair, I run my fingers through it automatically. Within a few minutes he is out cold. I then realize my eyes are heavy too. Hell, a quick nap won't hurt.

--------------

I wake to a weight being lifted off of me. When I open my eyes Luke is standing up, looking down at me.

I look around to see Calum and Char asleep on the floor, a blanket pulled over them, his arm gently draped around her waist. Ashton and Michael are out of sight.

"Do you want to go out on the balcony?" Luke asks, looking into my light green eyes with his piercingly blue ones.

I nod, following him out of the double doors onto the balcony.

"Are you still drunk?" I ask, looking over at his perfect face.

"I never was." Those words make my stomach twist but I push the feeling aside.

We sit in silence for awhile until Luke speaks again.

"It was me at the airport."

"What?" I reply, not following.

"You ran into me at the airport.. I got your bags off the baggage claim. That was me. I knew I would see you at the concert because you had the UVIP lanyard around your neck when you bumped into me." He spoke, a sly smirk thrown across his face.

"You looked so pretty.. With your beanie on." He continued, making my heart race. He stepped closer to me.

"Oh my.. I didn't even put it together." I spoke, finally catching his graze.

By this time my back was against the edge of the balcony and Luke was standing about a foot in front of me.

"I wanted to tell you who I was.. But I knew I'd get the chance to meet you again.. And I did. And Ashton was all over you.. You looked so beautiful. You didn't even have to try, you don't have to try." He spoke again, stepping closer to me. Now our chests were touching.

"Sam.. I'm going to kiss you now." He whispers, looking into my eyes for assurance.

I nod, closing my eyes. Then I feel his soft lips on mine, gentle at first, then more strong, demanding.

I pulled away and rested my forehead against his.

"This is never going to work." I whisper.

"I know." His minty breath fans my face.

Then he kisses me again.