Chapter 13: Squashed

Fletcher and Stephanie sprinted from the fortress, the Black Cleaver right on their heels.

The huge gate was closing before them, slowly clanking into place, lowering down, its wooden spikes sliding into the grooves made in the ground.

"Oh no!" Stephanie yelled, skidding to a halt and turning, wild eyed, to Fletcher. "The Sceptre! It's still back there!"

Fletcher didn't often have a chance to prove himself to Stephanie. He had to seize this opportunity.

"Don't worry my love, I shall retrieve it!" He announced, and turned around- straight into the Black Cleaver.

Fletcher yelled as the Black Cleaver stuck, swinging his sythe. Fletcher teleported away, behind the Cleaver, and picked up the discarded Scepre. Then he teleported back to Stephanie and they sprinted on.
Fletcher would have teleported him and Stephanie as far away from the fortress as he could, but the gates were bound by a special magic which stopped him from teleported onto either side of them. He had tried, obviously, but every time he did, he had received a nasty electric shot, like a bolt of lightning.

The gate was getting lower... Stephanie was in front of him, and she slid under the wooden spikes at the last second.
Fletcher dropped and slid and was half way through the gate when--

***

"We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of Fletcher Renn, the last teleporter. If only he hadn't been grabbed by the Black Cleaver just as he was sliding under the gate, he would never have been squashed like a kidney bean..."