An Odd Couple.

Chapter Three: An Odd Couple.
Series:
Three
Episode:
One - Smith and Jones.
Part: One.

After saying his farewells to Donna, the Doctor had scooped Rose up off of the captain's chair and taken her into the infirmary. Whereas before her skin had been too hot it was now icy. The Doctor had run multiple scans but they had all concluded the same thing. Diagnosis: Fever. Aside from that, it would seem she was in perfect health.

Rose had asked almost immediately upon waking what had happened to Donna the Doctor had awkwardly informed her that she hadn't wanted to come. And though Rose was sure there was more to it than that, her mind had been so foggy from her fever that she hadn't pushed for more.

The Doctor insisted they didn't go on any adventures just yet. And though Rose could tell it was driving him insane - and the TARDIS certainly didn't approve of the extra repairs - she was grateful. It gave her time to properly grieve and to get over her fever. They went on a couple of trips but they were all very safe and touristy. The Doctor had made the TARDIS promise to hold off on all life and death situations until Rose was better. And the TARDIS was not about to take that risk with Her Wolf.

And that was how it stayed for the three weeks after they had met Donna. But now even Rose was getting unbearably restless. Besides she had to empty out her mother's flat. When Rose told the Doctor as much he whined and complained that her fever wasn't completely gone. But the TARDIS medbay scans quickly disproved that. So with a grumble, the Doctor set the coordinates.

x

Rose and the Doctor arrived a couple of days after the Battle of Canary Wharf but before they'd met Donna. And together they had quickly emptied Jackie's flat of anything sentimental - photo albums, their favourite mugs, the odd magnet Jackie had collected as well as a few more meaningful items of clothing - and left everything else behind. As far as officials knew Rose and Jackie Tyler had died in the Battle of Canary Wharf or at the very least Jackie had as most people still thought Rose was off travelling.

It would have been easier if people had believed Rose was dead too. It would have made the dreaded clean-up easier. But unfortunately for the two time-travellers, they had run into one Shareen Costello as they were carrying boxes to the TARDIS. The young woman managed to wheedle out a promise to come to dinner out of Rose as well as demanding that the Doctor attend also before they were sent on their way.

After carting all of her sentimentals into the TARDIS, Rose had had a craving for chips. Which was how they had ended up walking through Chancery Street a portion of chip each in hand. It was as they were passing the Royal Hope hospital that the Doctor brought them to a halt by their conjoined hands.

Rose turned and looked back at him curiously as he stared intensely at the Hospital.

"What? What is it?"

"Plasma coils." The Doctor answered distractedly as he waved his hand around in the air in front of the hospital.

"And that's bad?" Rose asked, unsure.

"Dunno. Could be. Let's go check it out." The Doctor said going to rush into the hospital before Rose pulled him back by their adjoined hands.

"And how are we gonna do that? I don't have to be a dinner lady again, do I?" Rose questioned sternly, daring the Doctor to make her be a dinner lady again.

The Doctor chuckled.

"Nah, we'll just sign in as patients." He said going to rush off again and once again Rose tugged him back.

"Sufferin' from what? It's probably only gonna be a quick visit so it can't be anythin' to serious but we still need to get in."

"Stomach pains." The Doctor offered as if it were obvious.