Bad Wolf Corporation

Chapter Nine: Bad Wolf Corporation.
Series:
Three.
Episode:
Six - The Lazarus Experiment.
Part:
One.

When they finally returned to the TARDIS, it was to make a beeline straight for the kitchen, as they hadn't eaten since they'd been in Elizabethan England that morning. And though Rose had been aboard the TARDIS for several hours alone she'd been so distracted she hadn't thought to eat. Funny how life changing secrets can blind you to the menial tasks of surviving.

The Doctor whipped up some pangshen, a delicacy from Norrooma that resembled fishcakes in appearance and texture but tasted more like a beef/lamb combination served with some ordinary steamed Earth greens. Conversation was light and stilted after the stressful day, the mind's of the three travellers occupied.

With the meal finished, Rose ushered Martha out of the room to rest after her ordeal rather than concerning herself with the washing up. Silence lingered between the duo for a moment as they went through the motions of putting away the clean crockery, putting the dishes from their meal in to be washed and tidying away any signs of the meal they'd just eaten.

With that done, they retook their seats cups of tea in hand, each to their unique specification as they had done so many times before. Neither knew where to start, as they cradled their mugs.

"Rose." The Doctor started somberly.

"I know." Rose answered equally solemn, as she stared into her mug. "She can't stay. She's got a life back home to get back to and she never really agreed to come along full time anyway." All of her earlier determination having fled her, she'd only seen that the Doctor had invited her along for a trip, it had only been her assumption that there was more, likely having caused more damage in the process.

And maybe her machinations were for nothing anyway. Clearly the TARDIS had the ability to intervene if she so wished, if Rose's convenient amnesia episodes were anything to go by. If she was going to mess up she didn't doubt that the TARDIS would intervene. All her current path was doing was stressing her out and she didn't need that on top of the grief of losing but not losing her mum. She'd carry on as normal, do what she thought best rather than constantly second guessing herself.

Her earlier resolve was forgotten in the grief of losing the Face of Boe, another name to add to the ever growing list. She'd come to the conclusion that this couldn't continue, she couldn't keep second guessing every one of her actions for a timeline that no longer existed. She was going to drive herself mad, she had to continue as before and if the TARDIS had a problem with that then she could deal with it.

"She could have ended up dead." The Doctor said, effectively erasing any doubts about just how much trouble Martha was in. "I didn't mean for that to happen, and certainly not now."

"I'm sorry." She fiddled with the handle of her mug, her guilt consuming her. "I shouldn't have pushed, didn't even ask if it was alright and look what happened?"

The question hung in the air as they were both reminded of how much worse today could have gone.

"First thing tomorrow then, yeah?"

"Yeah."

x

Rose was quiet the next morning at breakfast, staring into the swirling depths of her cup of tea, Martha's already prepared besides her as the two travelers awaited the arrival of their guest. Martha was all smiles as she joined them in the kitchen. Rose fought to return the smile with equal fervour but knew it was strained with the knowledge of what today would bring for her. She'd almost died and this was the thanks she was to receive?

Rose shook her head, dismissing the thought as she took a sip of now tepid tea. No. She'd told herself last night she would not continue on in that way. Part of her wondered if it was the TARDIS' own meddling that led to such thoughts.