11. bruno

-3 months ago-

There was a knock at the door.

"Hurry up I'm waiting!" Harvey yelled.
"The door's open just come in!" I shouted through my bedroom window.

I finished brushing my hair and grabbed a light jacket.

The front door clicked open and I rushed downstairs to meet Harvey, who was at the foot of my stairs waiting patiently.
He looked up with a smile on his face. He whispered something, barely audible. "You're not even trying but you look beautiful".
I smiled slightly and gave him a quick hug.

"You smell nice," I commented.
"I knew you liked the smell of lavenders so I used my mum's perfume," he mumbled, going a little red.
"Well that was really thoughtful of you"
He smiled and said, "You're welcome"
I giggled at his awkwardness.
"so where are we going?" I asked him.
He tapped my nose and said, "secret" and winked.
"It better be good then if it's such a big 'secret'"
"Oh you'll love it," he smirked at me. "Ready to go?"
"Yep, I'll just text my mum that I'm going somewhere with you"
"Will she be alright with that? Won't she get 'protective' of you?"
"She won't, she really likes you.  She knows you won't break my heart or anything"
"Oh. Right," he nodded and took my hand.

We walked for about 20 minutes until there was noise. It was the distant sound of chatter, laughter and screaming children.
I could make out the top of a ferris wheel and bright lights that shone in every direction.

"Close your eyes," Harvey said, stepping in front of me.
"Why?" I asked.
"It's a surprise, remember? Here, take my hand"

I closed my eyes and Harvey took hold of my left hand and began to lead me to the 'surprise'.

"I swear to god Harvey, if I fall and crack my head open it's your fault"
"You won't Annie, I've got you," Harvey said reassuringly, holding my hand tighter.

Meanwhile the noise began to get louder and the concrete I was walking on was now grass.
We suddenly stopped and Harvey let go of my hand.

"Open your eyes Annie," He whispered into my ear.

I opened my eyes and immediately cringed at the bright lights glaring at me.
In front of me were long rows of stalls  for games flooded with children and their parents. Frying burgers and sausages filled the scene with their delicious smell.
Clouds of candy floss, swirling, creamy ice-cream, mountains of prizes, flashing lights, magnificent rides and laughter.
I smiled; the summer fair.

🐘

I tucked the big blue llama toy Harvey had won for me under my arm, my other hand held Harvey's.

"Thanks for winning me Bruno, even though it took you 16 tries," I told him.
"You're welcome," he smiled at me, "Did you have fun?"
"Loads"
"Me too"

We stopped in front of my house.

"See you tomorrow?"
"See ya"

I waved goodbye and turned to walk towards my house.

"Aw, no goodbye kiss?" Harvey pouted behind me.
I laughed, turned around and leaned in to kiss his right cheek.
"And my left cheek, " he turned his head to the side, "Can't keep it hanging like that."
I leaned in to kiss his left cheek only to be met with his lips. I widened my eyes in shock and almost pulled away but Harvey pulled me closer.
I felt the sparks at the bottom of my stomach setting off like fireworks like it was bonfire night.
We pulled apart after what seemed like an eternity though it was only two seconds.

"So I'll see you tomorrow then Annie?" Harvey asked, already walking away from me.
"Er, yeah, yeah sure," I replied still in a daze.
"Cool," he smiled, before walking down the street, hands in his pockets as if he did not feel my pounding heart or the erupting fireworks being set off.

I watched him leave until he disappeared into his own house across the street.

I smiled to myself.
I had to admit, Harvey Mills wasn't a bad kisser. And that trick he did there, that was pretty damn smooth. Pretty damn smooth Mills.

-edited