Chapter 2: A Bargain

A helicopter flew over the snowy mountains, the propellers rotating quickly and steadily. In the distance was the Lin Kuei Temple, the cold climate perfect for their Grandmaster.

As the helicopter neared, the pilot signaled to the man behind him. "We're getting close to the temple, Mr. Cage."

Cage nodded with a grin on his aged face. The former actor was well past his glory days on the screen and into his fourties. Arms crossed in his signature pose and sun glasses on despite the lack of sun, he waited.

Finally he stood in front of the weather worn doors to the Lin Kuei. For a second his grin faltered, the news he brought with him was heavy.

When the grin came back it was more artificial but Cage had an image to keep up.

"Why hello there, Grandmaster Sub-Zero."

The man standing before Cage acknowledged his presence. His eyes, having darkened with age, kept a stern expression. After all these years his hair managed to stay jet black and had grown a beard.

"Johnny Cage, it's been a while. What may I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Now that the guards had left and it was just the two of them, Johnny let the mask drop.

"You might wanna sit down for this one, it's a real shocker. Hell, I couldn't believe it at first."

When Sub-Zero took his advice and sat on his throne he continued. "I came to you to ask for a favor, in return for assisting you on what I believe to be an...interesting mission."

"For the past six years Special Forces have been aware of a new criminal syndicate that has been wreaking havoc on multiple cities... I hate to admit it but they've been very successful in their work and for a long time we were unable to figure out where their hideout is."

He moved closer "Now, however, we know that the hideout is hidden in that city Outworld invaded a couple decades or so ago."

Sub-Zero held his hand up. "Pardon the interruption but please get to the point, Johnny Cage."

Unfazed, Cage flashed his signature grin, although it wasn't genuine. "Of course. I believe that the leader of this syndicate might have some... interest to you. The leader is referred to as The Phoenix."

A blank look spread over Sub-Zero's aged features. "And pray tell why would I be interested in this Phoenix when that city, nor its targets, is nowhere near me?"

Cage wagged a finger, "I'm getting there. Well, we sent one of our own to go undercover and see how the Phoenix works...unfortunately he was discovered and she had him burned alive. But, he did manage to get us this!" Cage reached into the bag he brought with him and brought out a doll.

A simple doll, with brown hair, a purple dress, and a white ribbon. An item that in itself wasn't of much significance.

Sub-Zero stiffened in his seat.

"This is..." The Grandmaster took the doll in his hands, holding it like it was made of gold.

Johnny Cage nodded, his grin fading. "This was in her bedroom."

There was a brief silence as the cryomancer tried to process the information. All he could do was stare at the doll, dumbfounded.

Could it really be her? He thought to himself.

The former actor wasn't sure what Sub-Zero's reaction would be, if he would be overjoyed or outraged at his dead sister's return. His mouth didn't move but his eyes asked the question "How?"

"This makes no sense...why would Ember act in such a manner? The leader of a criminal syndicate? How are we sure it's her?"

"Trust me, Sub, we know." Johnny shifted uncomfortably. "The Phoenix is the only pyromancer known in the clan, and there aren't many pyromancers left in this world. She personally burned our spy to death. Also, who else would keep the original name 'Feathers of the Phoenix' the clan Ember was a part of, when there's only one pyromancer?"

"That is not enough evidence!"

Sub-Zero couldn't wrap it around his head that his sister might have returned, nor did he want to believe that she was capable of such murder and thievery.

It was too much.

Cage almost placed his hand on Sub-Zero's shoulder, wanting to comfort him, but thought better of it and pulled away. "General Blade and I didn't believe it at first-maybe didn't want to believe it."

He remembered the fiery young pyromancer, head-strong and impulsive but far from exhibiting the cruelty that the Phoenix was infamous for.

Clearing his throat, he continued. "I have a theory on why she's turned out like this." Sub-Zero, who broke his stoic stance to put his head in his hands, looked up with a very faint glimmer of hope. "Remember how your brother, Bi-Han had taken her body to Quan Chi? He might've started the process of resurrecting her."

"But during my years as one of Quan Chi's puppets I saw her nowhere. He couldn't have had her." The five years he was under the sorcerer's control was a very dark period in his life, one he rarely liked to reminisce on.

"You didn't let me finish," Cage held up a hand. "He started the process but never finished. Maybe he got interrupted, maybe someone took her for themselves. Whatever the case, she didn't go through the full process, she's displayed too much free will for that. Maybe she was under the process long enough that some of the hatred and anger he put in all the revenants stayed with her."

Sub-Zero sat silently, reflecting on what he just learned. Moments passed in thoughtful silence before Sub-Zero broke it.

"So this mission you offer to assist me in...?"

"I have a team that would go with you to capture Ember. We might even have a way to save her, bring her back." Johnny and Sonya had agreed that if there was a person Ember might stand down for, it would be her brother.

Secretly, Johnny doubted it, but he had to hope.

The grandmaster nodded. "I accept your proposal. Tell me what it is you need my help for?"