Chapter 31: Set the Bird Free

A full day had passed since Shinnok's defeat. The Lin Kuei temple had been fairly quiet, most of the next day spent recovering.

Kuai Liang sat in his room, his chair facing the hardly used fireplace. He never really used it, never needed to since he welcomed the cold. More so recently, however, he found the flames to be comforting.

At least he could tame these flames.

The firelight illuminated his tired face and the mixture of emotions displayed. His darkened eyes stared heavily at the fire and his mouth was set in a tight line. The blue mask was placed with great care on a side table.

He sat there in stoic silence, his fingers firmly grasping the arms of his chair.

There was a light knock at the door and seconds later it opened.

"You wanted to see me?"

Kuai Liang's grip tightened almost unnoticeably, his eyes swimming with an unreadable sadness. He did not turn to look at his sister.

He remained staring at the fire as he spoke. "Yes...It has taken me a long time...but, I realize now how selfish I have been."

Ember didn't say anything, silently standing a few inches from his chair.

"I wanted you here with me. I had told myself that it's what was best for you..." He spoke slowly, trying to keep his voice even. "Even when you fought against me I didn't understand why...I was being unfair and keeping you here against your will wasn't what I desired, although my actions spoke otherwise."

It was better that he didn't look at her. The words he forced himself to speak hurt, but it would've been harder if he had to look at her face.

"...I apologize, Ember. I hope you can forgive me" he didn't wait for her to respond, the silence lasting long enough to give him enough breath to speak the next words. "That is not the only reason I asked for you. As much as I want you to stay with me in the temple, I want you to stay of your own will."

His grip tightened again. "If you wish to return to your clan...I will not stop you." Although the words seemed to leave his mouth with ease, inside he was struggling.

"Whatever you do decide, know that you will always be welcome here, Ember."

Another silence fell. The only sound in the room was the crackling of the fire. Ember felt her throat close up, he could try to play it off but she knew it hurt him to say what he did.

"...Thank you" she finally said, willing herself to keep her composure. "I'll let you know my decision soon." Her voice was quiet and soft.

He gave no reply, his unwavering stare still remaining on the fire. Ember took small steps until she reached his side before gently placing her hand on his shoulder.

"Goodnight, Kuai." She bent down and lightly kissed his forehead. Not waiting to see if he'd speak more, Ember backed away and closed the door behind her.

Left alone in his room once more, Kuai-Liang felt his stoic-ness falter. He inhaled deeply.

A lone, cold tear tore itself from his eye and landed onto the floor.