Chapter 28: Long Time, No See

The closer they were to the Sky Temple, the worse it got. The woods were devoid of life other than the marching Lin Kuei, red sky and blue uniforms flooding the otherwise green place.

Ember walked beside Kuai Liang at the front. Frost was nowhere to be found, information that greatly displeased her brother but ultimately nothing could be done about it. Whether the female cryomancer got cold feet at the sight of real battle or was so embittered at having to be around Ember that she decided to ditch her Grandmaster was not clear.

Ember had expressed concern over the large number of Lin Kuei Kuai Liang decided to bring.

"I've noticed that you tend to keep your...Feathers hidden from danger." Kuai Liang said.

She frowned. "Of course, they're under my protection."

"You put yourself in possible danger by sending them away when Cage's team and I approached you"

"Yeah I did...but I gave one hell of a fight" Ember smirked "So I think I can take care of myself, I didn't need to put their lives at risk"

He looked down at her, sternly "Are you not confident in their ability to defend themselves?"

"No...I'm confident. They're better at taking down thugs and guys with guns-my Feathers aren't used to dealing with guys that can control ice" She was certainly protective, that was clear to him.

The mention of her clan suddenly made her uneasy. They stayed for the most part underground so perhaps they didn't know about the change in weather. Still, she hoped Jaganu was handling being the temporary clanmaster well.

Hopefully temporary.

The sounds of fighting nearby brought her out of her thoughts. Kuai Liang listened for a little before ordering his Lin Kuei to surround the perimeter of the fight.

It seemed Cage's daughter and her team were going at it against Kotal Kahn and his lackeys. Unfortunately the odds didn't appear to be in their favor.

Kotal Kahn in no time had them rounded up and surrounded. Osh-Tekk warriors appearing, ready to spear them at their Kahn's demand.

Kuai Liang nudged Ember.

"Shall we?" He asked

"Let's"

He froze the large beast with the small child on its back first before giant fists could pummel Jacqui. Sub-Zero rapidly froze one after another, Osh-Tekk after Osh-Tekk.

Just as Kotal Kahn began to notice, several Lin Kuei sprung from the foliage and charged. Ember joined, summoning her soldiers from the ground up to scare off Kotal Kahn's men.

Taking the distraction, Jacqui helped Takeda to his feet and along with Cassie and Jin ran toward Sub-Zero.

"You stood together against formidable odds. Lesser warriors would not have fared as well." Sub-Zero said. "We will stay and push Kotal Kahn back to Outworld. Proceed to the Sky Temple, Earthrealm's fate lies with you."

Cassie nodded, "Thank you, Grandmaster."

They left, running as fast as they could to the temple. Sub-Zero shot an ice ball at an Osh-Tekk attempting to flee, allowing for one of his Lin Kuei to slice the warrior in half.

Ember continued raising her fire from the ground, already frightening some of Kotal's warriors. Then she was bound in a strict green energy and lifted into the air.

Ermac floated before her, his hand surrounded with the green energy.

His glowing eyes looked her up and down. "We remember you."