Chapter 5: Reunion

The man beside the throne clenched his fists. "Who dares to trespass into the lair of the Phoenix?"

Sub-Zero did not answer right away, his eyes glued to the woman sitting on the throne, who looked disinterested if anything.

The man snarled and was ready to repeat himself when he didn't receive an answer, but the Phoenix lazily raised a hand to stop him. He silenced at her unspoken command and stood back.

"I recognize that symbol."

The voice that left the woman didn't sound human, completely devoid of emotion. "Lin Kuei." She looked Sub-Zero up and down, not paying attention to the others.

She didn't recognize him at first. He had aged a lot since they had last seen each other. But the realization soon dawned on her, his face may have aged but there was a particular aura he possessed that was familiar.

"Sub-Zero," she called out, "it's been a while. What do I owe the honor?" Nothing could hide the sarcasm and contrite in her words.

Sub-Zero didn't answer still, dejected.

Fortunately, Cage stepped up. "Actually we'd like an audience with you." For the first time, the Phoenix looked at the aging man and tilted her head slightly.

"Johnny Cage? You've aged quite a bit. Maybe you should've used the money you earned from your mediocre movies to get some work done." The guard to her left quickly tried to cover up a snicker with a cough.

Cage was searching for a comeback, but none came to mind. "See, Sub, she's still in there." He joked half-heartedly. Then he turned back to the Phoenix, "Your Majesty," he mock bowed, "On behalf of Special Forces I ask that you come with us."

The Phoenix's gaze didn't waver. "Jaganu," she called and the man to her right stepped up, "leave me."

Jaganu looked surprised and prepared to protest but she held her hand up. "Tell the Feathers to stay in their rooms, no one leaves until I say it's safe."

Jaganu, speechless, bowed and ordered the guard to follow him before leaving the throne room.

Now they were alone with the Phoenix.

"I'm under the assumption that you fought some of my Feathers in order to stand before me, am I correct?" She sat erect but relaxed.

"Sub-Zero, I know that you've been...isolated from the rest of the world so you may not know this, but I don't take kindly to intruders harming my Feathers. We share blood, so this time I shall let it pass. Keep that in mind."

The way she said his code name with such indifference stabbed his cold heart. He still struggled to believe that this monstrous woman was once his annoyingly impulsive sister.

She gazed at her claws in boredom. "Honestly, I'm not sure whether to burn you or thank you, Sub-Zero." Her dead eyes flickered between him and Cage. "If you hadn't put me in that block of ice for nineteen years, I might've aged like him."

Cage put a hand to his heart, "She just called me old...oh my pride."

Finally Sub-Zero gained the ability to speak again and took a small step forward. "How did you...how are you-" he struggled to find the words, fortunately she helped him.

"Alive?" She finished. "Bi-Han. After he had taken me to Quan Chi and let that detestable albino work his magic a little, he felt bad and hid me in the forest around the city as some kind of resting place. I'm not sure he knew I was alive since he left me there."

She looked up, "Then again...he wasn't the only one to leave me. But that's for another time."

Kung Jin leaned towards the cryomancer and whispered "I think she's talking about you." And although Sub-Zero only clenched his fists, he said nothing in response. Cassie, on the other hand, elbowed Jin.