Chapter 15: Frostbite

Hanzo couldn't wait to get to the temple. His bruised pride, along with his bruised face made this trip even more insufferable-if that was even possible.

Ember certainly looked better, he was a little surprised she didn't constantly brag in his face that he lost. Not that he would've stood for that.

They hadn't spoken since their little fight, which was fine with both of them. Ember silently let him lead the way, and Hanzo trudged through the snow.

His head shot up as some bushes rustled, immediately he slowed his pace and looked for the slightest movement.

"We are being watched" he whispered, whatever was out there was definitely larger than a squirrel or a raccoon.

Ember narrowed her eyes and followed his stare, but couldn't see what he did.

Hanzo cursed in his mind, whoever was stalking them might think the two were easy pickings. He was visibly injured and from a distance she didn't look too threatening. Slowly his hand crept back for his katana.

From the rustling bushes, a cloaked figure stood, shadowed by the trees. The figure stood silently, as still as a ghost. Hanzo wrapped his fingers around the handle of his weapon, eyes glued to the figure.

"Duck!"

Ember blasted the bushes to Hanzo's left, eliciting a scream of surprise from the trees.

The movement had caught him off guard, and when he looked for the cloaked figure again it had vanished. Hanzo glared at Ember.

"I lost sight of the enemy thanks to you"

She returned his glare "Weird way to say thank you. Someone was sneaking up on you" she jabbed her finger towards the burning brush and sure enough there was another cloaked figure rolling around in the snow.

"You're welcome" she rolled her eyes, stepping around Hanzo to finish the stranger off.

The burning man whipped out a dagger, but Ember caught his wrist and snapped it. Then his neck.

"GET THEM!" A voice shouted from the trees. Within seconds they were surrounded by bandits with cloaks shielding their faces. They were both pushed until they were back to back in the middle of the path.

One of them approached, standing out from the rest. "Give us everything you have" he growled

"We have no money, or anything that is of worth." Hanzo's fingers twitched.

The man glanced at Ember and looked her up and down.

She glared at him "Don't even try it"

He sneered, revealing crooked teeth and gums. "Alright, we'll kill you first...then take what we want."

Hanzo and Ember shared a glance, nothing needed to be said. They knew what to do.

~~~

The snow stained red with the blood of the bandits, their daggers and swords cluttered the dirt path.

Hanzo released a heavy sigh, wiping his katana clean. His nose crinkled, the stench of burning flesh lifting into the crisp air. "...Thank you." The words came out with some resistance.