Chapter 22: Heat Rising

The next morning Ember was prepared to depart early. Sonya had the helicopter waiting for her, waiting for Ember to finish giving brief goodbyes. The pyromancer hopped in and buckled, turning to look at Sonya.

"We'll keep you informed on Johnny" Sonya shouted over the propellers. "I'll keep bugging Sub-Zero about letting you back here, so don't get too comfortable." She smiled, ignoring the wind blowing her hair into her face.

Ember nodded, helping Sonya shut the chopper door after yelling a thank you. Once the door was shut, Ember sighed deeply. Her stomach was in knots and she scratched absently at her pants.

Paranoid and uneasy, she checked for her duffel bag containing her armor, keeping the item within arm's reach.

The door on the other side of the chopper suddenly opened. Before Ember could form words of surprise, Hanzo hopped in and sat beside her. Closing the door behind him, the ninja paid no mind to the confused expression on her face until he was adjusted in the seat.

"...What?"

Realizing that she was staring, Ember blinked and tried to regain her composure. "Oh...um I didn't realize you were coming with."

"I'm the only one who can slip past the Lin Kuei defenses. If you want to get back inside without Kuai Liang noticing then you'll need my help."

She wasn't entirely convinced, but she was too tired to inquire further. "If you say so." She shrugged.

As soon as the helicopter took off and they were in the air at a comfortable cruising elevation, Ember shifted in her seat and yawned.

Hanzo glanced over, "Tired?"

She nodded, closing her eyes. "I didn't sleep well last night." If they were going to sneak past the Lin Kuei, then she needed to be awake.

So Ember slept throughout the ride, only waking after Hanzo gently shook her arm.

"Did we crash again?"

He reassured her that they did not. The propellers were slowly coming to a stop, the trees swaying in the opening of the mountain from the generated wind.

"We'll be on foot the rest of the way." He said, opening the door and waiting for her to exit.

Once she was in the snow Ember felt more awake, slinging her bag over her shoulder. "You lead the way."

He nodded, leading them through the snowy terrain to the temple. It was like before except they were both in better condition, and not nearly as annoyed with the other's presence.

The walk, same as the helicopter ride, went smoothly. Hanzo didn't worry about Ember attacking him again, although he did notice something was off.

She seemed particularly reserved and quiet, something that hardly happened when she wasn't pissed off. While she was awake and conscious her feet were somewhat dragging in the snow.

"Are you alright?" He asked. At his question her eyes seemed to snap out of a daze.

She blinked, "Um...yeah, I didn't sleep well last night." Ember swore she had told him before they took off.

"You'd think you would be better rested now, considering you slept the entire flight." Hanzo ignored her eyes roll. He knew it was more than just horrible sleep.

Her face paled a little when he asked "Does it have to do with what happened yesterday?"

"N...no-I mean" her steps slowed. "...yes and no." Now Hanzo stopped to face her, confused. She tried to explain that what happened with Rain certainly contributed to the problem but wasn't necessarily the main cause. The words, however, weren't forming in her brain.