Chapter 1: Been Awhile

Six years later, General Blade headed to the tent, the findings of their investigation on a possible new crime syndicate had finally arrived.

A month ago they had sent one of their agents in as a spy to infiltrate the base located in an abandoned city. He had done well, blended in well enough not to alert the leader.

"They call her the Phoenix. The minions are her Feathers...weird if you ask me. But I guess there are worse things to be called." Sonya recalled the agent explaining. She wanted to find out what she could, take it down before it turned into another Black Dragon-another Kano.

According to intel, the spy had snuck into the Phoenix's private bedroom and managed to steal some things he believed were useful in helping them identify her. He had a contact sneak them out of the base.

That was a week ago, the items had finally arrived to the General for viewing.

"Alright, Jenson, what do we have?" Sonya looked at the table, eyeing the soldier with the same intensity that had only increased with age.

Jenson lifted the items carefully from a crate and placed them on the table. In similar fashion to evidence of a homicide the items were inside baggies and Jenson wore gloves.

There was some useless things, jewelry that had definitely been stolen.

Two items, however, caught Sonya's attention like a magnet.

Her eyes narrowed. She was silent for a minute, frozen in place.

"General?" Jenson frowned.

Not taking her eyes from the items, she took a deep breath "Bring Cage in here...now."

Immediately Jenson saluted and rushed out the tent. When Johnny did show up, he let out an exasperated sigh.

"What's the big deal? I was in the bathroom and you got Jenson freaking out that I needed to get-"

"Cage, look."

Johnny's lips pressed together, but obeyed and came up beside her. He didn't see what had her so spooked until she pointed.

Then his body went cold. "Is...is that..." he shook his head and tore his eyes away. "No, it can't..."

"Who else could it be?" Sonya needed to sit down but her body wouldn't budge.

"No, Sonya, it couldn't! She's DEAD!"

"We both know that in this world death isn't permanent." She crossed her arms, unable to look away from the table. "How else would you explain this?!"

He didn't have an answer, but he didn't want to believe it. "No..." his voice merely a whisper.

Suddenly the tent flap lifted and a young blonde woman entered. "Dad...M-General, what's wrong?" They looked like they had seen a ghost.

Sonya sighed, "Someone we knew a long time ago-we think they might be alive."

"No, you think it's her!" Johnny paced the room. "Cassie," he said "You should wait outside, I'll explain it later...your mother and I need a minute"

Cassie continued to hang in the entryway. "I'm sorry, Dad, but there's something you both need to see. It's from the Phoenix."

Johnny and Sonya locked eyes before following their daughter outside. Johnny's nose crinkled.

Something was burnt.

Jenson was there already, his skin a sickly pale and his mouth dropped open in disgust. He couldn't stand to look anymore and moved to a nearby trash can to vomit.

The General stopped mid step. "Oh my god..."

Cassie stayed a safe distance back. "Isn't that the spy you sent to the Phoenix?"

Sonya nodded. There he was, his flesh charred to a crisp. Some limbs were missing. His mouth was wide open, revealing his last moments to be full of pain and utter agony.

"Still not convinced?" Sonya asked Johnny, the both of them looking down on the burned body.

Johnny was silent. As much as he didn't want to believe, the evidence was all there.

She was back.