Ch. 3

DEREK POV

Scott, Jackson and I were out on the balcony when Stiles, an adorable little boy, and a cute looking red head came in. He was smiling and had his arm around her in a comforting way. I don't know why but I felt a bit envious.

"So... How long have they been together?" I asked looking towards the two.

Scott answered "Stiles and Lydia? They're actually engaged" Scott snickered the last part glancing over to Jackson who was harboring a laugh.

"What!"

They both burst out in laughter, clutching their sides. "I'm only kidding she's just a friend, they work together. Why? Jealous?"

"What did you tell him?" I snapped at Jackson.

"Look Derek it's no big deal you're attracted to Stiles"

"Then what's so funny?"

"Nothing. It's just the big jock gawking for the hyperactive spaz. It's sickly cliche of you"

"Jock? Really? What are we still in highschool?"

"So you gonna ask him out?" Scott asked

"Why are we so focused on my life?"

"I ship it" He simply shrugged taking another drink from the cup he was holding "I could help you out, maybe get you two together"

"No. No way" I grabbed the door opening it for the two boys "Do me a favor and butt out" my eyes wondered curiously to the young boy who had just came in with Stiles "Who's the kid?" I asked

"Uh I was told to butt out" Scott remarked. I gave him an are-you-kidding-me look and he continued to speak "That's Caleb, Stiles' son" I didn't think much of the fact that the new information didn't change my sudden infatuation for him, in fact I was more attracted.

Inside everyone had returned and were sitting in the livingroom. Stiles was talking about something that happened at school earlier in the day which made everyone laugh. Lydia was on his right so I glided quickly across the room to take the last seat beside him. He continued joking and I could feel how fast he was growing on me every time he laughed it felt like I was melting.

"-Oh don't mope Isaac. You can't already have frown lines at 23"

"Who are you to talk look at those bags under your eyes"

"I'm aware. Late nights, long shifts, and a kid will do that to ya" he took a sip of his beer. I noticed it too, and I was willing to give any amount of money to ensure he never had to lift another finger. Oh god what's happening to me?

"How many jobs are you working now?" Isaac asked sarcastically.

"3" Scott answered for me "And he's going to school to be a teacher, and he takes care of Caleb"

"No offense guys but I wasn't born loaded"

"Hey, I admire your diligence" I told him with a pat on the back, and he smiled.

"Let's move on shall we?" he asked "I mean Scott, he has a lot going on" he succeeded in turning the conversation away from himself, but I still payed close attention to him. The way his shoulders bounced, and he threw his head back when he laughed. Or how his eyes got big with excitement every time he was surprised. It had only been a day and already I could feel myself quickly falling for this boy.

STILES POV

Probably my favorite feature about Jackson's condo was the balcony. I was currently standing on it overlooking the view of the city. Sometimes when things got too stressful it was the little things like that view that made it all seem to disappear. Right now the one thing I couldn't seem to get off my mind was Derek. I noticed him staring at me earlier not in a creepy way but in an admiring type of way, and I didn't mind it at all.

"Hey what are you doing out here?" It was Derek

"Oh nothing enjoying the view. I can see everything from here"

He leaned over the railing beside me "Really?"

"Yeah there's my apartment building, Caleb's daycare, the motel I work at" I said pointing " And, Oooooo there's O'hallorans"

"What's that?"

"Are you serious? I can't believe you've never been there. It's a delicious pub n grub place I go for lunch"

"I promise you I'm an O'hallorans virgin" he joked and I let out a light laugh "You'll have to take me sometime"

I looked over at him a little surprised "Yeah"

He smiled "Here" he handed me his phone, and surprisingly without hesitation I punched in my number "Great. I'll text you" I smiled.

"Daddy?" Was called out then followed by the sound of feet running against the ground as Caleb came running up behind me. I quickly took him in my arms resting my on my hip.

"And who might this be?" Derek asked, ruffling Caleb's messy brown hair as he hid his face in the crook of my neck.

"I sleepy" he mumbled

"Hi sleepy, I'm Derek" he joked. At this Caleb's head popped up and he was stifling a smile.

"No" he laughed " I'm Caleb"

"Ooohhh" Derek countered " Nice to meet you Caleb" I laughed watching the man construct playful banter with my son.

"I guess I better get him home" I said letting Caleb nuzzle back into my neck.

"I'll see you around Stiles"

As planned Lydia and I spent the next morning loading her belongings into my jeep. It was mostly shoes and clothes so it moved pretty quickly. I figured I wouldn't be working there anymore so I brought Caleb along to help. He would occasionally come trudging out with a small box or a shoe. Her father was once again passed out in one of the rooms so we cleared out without any interruptions. I asked her if she wanted to leave a note, talk to him. She simply told me he'd have to look up one day and find her gone.

Back at my apartment we spent about an hour to move everything in, and it didn't help that we had to walk it up 3 flights of stairs. After we finished I sat at the counter a bowl of cereal on one side, and my laptop on the other, I was finishing some homework. Caleb was bouncing playfully on my knee playing with my face. He would occasionally open his mouth and grunt signaling he wanted a bite. Lydia had disappeared for awhile, I got even more worried when I heard a loud grunt from her room. I jumped setting Caleb down, who eventually followed me, and ran bursting through the door, milk dribbling down my chin.

"What's-" the room was full and everything was neatly put away "-the matter? Wow you work fast"

"Yeah. I was just trying to put this box at the top of the closet" she gave me a cry for help look and I caught on moving to pick up the crate and move it to the closet "You know... I think you should ask Derek out"

"What?!" I just about screeched almost dropping the box on my head "Where is this coming from?"

"I think he likes you, and you guys would be cute boyfriends "

"Daddy get boyfriend?" Caleb asked clinging onto my leg. I shot Lydia a glance before patting my son playfully.

"No baby boy. Can you go get your shoes on?" He gave Lydia a peck on the cheek before racing out to his room.

"Not gonna happen Lyds"

"Yes, yes it is. He's coming over now, this is the perfect time"

"You invited him over!"

"Technically I invited Jackson, and Derek just so happened to be with him" I gave her a deep scowl "Hey it's my place now too, I assume I can have friends over"

"I guess that's why I'm covering Jackson shift. You know what I'm not even upset because I've got to get to work so I'm gonna go change" I left in a huff. Why was I upset? I thought If I don't have feelings for him there's no reason for me to me nervous, right?