Lay My Heart Out Raw

We mused have driven for hours but Dylan insisted on my keeping the blindfold on for the whole journey.

"Does it have anything to do with food?" I sighed, melting into the corner of seat and car door accordingly.

"We can bring snacks if you want."

"Is it something I would consider amazing?"

"Oh definitely, I'm going to knock your socks off."

"I'm not wearing socks."

"That's how wild it'll be."

I snorted, then played with the buttons on the door to roll the window down. Cool air hit my face, it felt cold and foggy out but I couldn't tell with the darn blindfold. Though a distinct smell was in the air, it didn't feel like the desert or the wilderness. It kind of smelled like perfume but it was hard to tell from the moving car.

"How much longer?" I asked.

"Any minute, I'm just looking for a good spot to park." He answered.

Sure enough a few minutes later the car slowed to a halt. I clicked open my door and stepped out, reaching eagerly for the blindfold. Then Dylan's hands were there on mine as he laughed gently.

"Not yet not yet!" He insisted, I could hear the smile in his voice. "We're almost there I promise."

"Almost." I groaned. "It's been almost the entire way here."

He laughed again. "Okay this time I'm not stalling. Follow my lead."

He was still holding onto one of my hands, and he squeezed in gently as he pulled me along and gave me directions on where to put my feet. We were definitely going off a trail of some sort. I liked the feeling of his hand in mine. Dylan's hands were warm and smooth, just like his smiles. His fingers fit right into mine like clockwork. Someone else might have said it was meant to be.

"I smell nature but not any nature I've smelled before." I noted, climbing through what seemed like tall grass or something of the like.

"Oh boy, someone's catching on."

I stumbled through the grass until suddenly I bumped into Dylan. Apparently, he stopped and hadn't bothered to say anything. Dylan's laugh that followed however made everything better.

"Okay Mr. Impatient, you can take off the blindfold now." He said.

I sadly had to let go of his hand as I reached up to my face and pulled off the bandana. Then I gasped and stared around at everything all around me.

For miles and miles across a giant canvas of bright green were millions and millions of red splotches. The spilled over the horizon and beyond. I was standing in the middle of an ocean of flowers. Not just any flowers, bright red poppies. The same flower that seemed to haunt the corners of my whole existence and it all started when I met Dylan Clark. Of course, this would be happening here and now. It was a sure as the poppy-colored blood running underneath his skin. I held my hands up to my face and marveled at it all. It was cloudy so everything had a slight shade of blue mixed in with the plethora of delight. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

Eventually I completed my three-sixty turn of wonderment and face him again. He had that stupid sheepish grin on his face. The real one, the grin whose edges were tinged with pure happiness and not substance abuse. He was so real and I could barely believe it, especially in times like these.