When You Get to The Top

"There's literally so many options out here." Matt was explaining. "You guys want to study art? Music? You totally can. I can hook you up."

    There were many upsides to living with two chefs, the breakfast we were eating right now was heavenly. At the same time, also extremely healthy. Hannah was gluten free (allergies, but it was common out here) and I couldn't even taste the difference. 

    "You do music?" Hannah asked, shaking out a few estrogen tablets with her breakfast and swallowing them in one gulp, impressive.

    Dylan blushed. "Yeah I do. Att is the art nerd."

    "You have to show us some stuff sometime." Hannah nodded eagerly.

    "Yeah, I'm mostly into surrealism, which I guess is pretty cool genre of art to be in." I said.

    "If you're in it, it is." Dylan insisted.

    "Psh."

    "I'm going to call the schools today and see what we can do okay?" Matt said. "You guys have a free day I guess. The boardwalk is nice this time of year if you want to go."

    Dylan gasped. "Yes! Let's do that!"

    "Sounds good to me." 

    As it turns out a boardwalk is just a carnival, but permanent and it's on a giant pier. We walked around and Dylan was being hecking cute again. He took a bunch of selfies with me and insisted we get all of the different sweets.

    "They have purple cotton candy, Att we have to get some now!"

    "Why?" I chuckled.

    "Because you're purple! Here's there blue too." He jumped up and down slightly in anticipation.

    We paid for our cotton candy and continued walking. We played some games and I won Dylan a bear in a ball throwing stand. He was so happy when I gave it to him I thought he was going explode. Time was passing but I wasn't aware of it.

    "Let's ride the Ferris wheel." I suggested.

    "Heck yeah." He agreed. "Ferris wheels have been gay culture, ever since Simon Spier."

    "Who?"

    Dylan stared at me incredulously. "I've got to show you my book collection sometime."

    We paid for our ride and buckled ourselves in. This one was much bigger than the one back in Oregon. There was a full sized carriage instead of just a closed-top bench. We talked and we laughed and ate are candy and we enjoyed being stupid young boys in love for a moment.

    "You know what they say you have to do when you get to the top, right?" I raised an eyebrow from my spot, lounging like Rose DeWitt Bukater about to painted like one of Jack's French ladies.

    "What?" Dylan asked.

    "You have to kiss me." I grinned.

    "Oh well, if that's what they say!" He laughed, like a complete and utter dork.

    We neared the top and as we did so I sat and scooted closer to him. The flier below up was just a great and you could hear the people below and see the carriage swing back and forth. The view up here was amazing, you could see the ocean stretching out for miles only to be swallowed by the horizon. The land was full of cities and people. If was full of humans who were living and breath and falling in love and kissing and hugging and telling jokes and laughing until their sides burst. It was full of mothers and fathers kissing the foreheads of their children and watching them grow up. It full of teenagers getting crushes and asking people out, teenagers getting angry and fighting for our rights and taking responsibility. The world was full of people and they were so vast and limitless. Humans were constantly breaking the standards of living and that's sometimes one of the most beautiful things.

    We reached the top and I leaned in and kiss Dylan Clark, the boy whom I loved, just like I had always wanted to do and never wanted to stop doing. We were on top of the world, powerful and untouchable. We were young and in love I don't think there's anything as wild and reckless as that. I curled my fingers in his hair and hungered after the sweet taste of his lips, which were ever so soft against mine. There was only one word to describe this feeling. The raw emotion of every amazing feeling you ever felt and lusted after. One word for our relationship, in all its ups and downs. Only one word for us.

    This is us, this is wonderlust.