Leave Those People Behind Us

Matthew was mostly quiet as he drove us back the house after lunch. Turns out the place he was talking about was a burger joint with food of surprisingly high quality. His car was one of those long and flat ones, not really fancy which was unexpected. I would have thought he would have been a little more well off considering how wealthy our dad seemed. Then again, he's a free individual who can make his own decisions, but it was a reasonably messy car though. Then again, I also can't talk much there either.

"Hang on." Dylan said as we walked towards the door. "I want to get something from the car."

Matt swirled his key ring on his fingers as Dylan popped up our trunk and started pushing through blankets. I was suddenly consciously aware or the pride flags we still had e windows, but as I glanced nervously back at Matt he didn't seem to notice. or he just didn't care. I don't which one set me more on edge.

"Here we are." Dylan swung his ukulele on his back. "You want you drawing stuff Att?"

"What?" Matt raised an eyebrow.

Dylan straightened so fast he hit his head on the door to the trunk. "Ow! Ah, I meant-" I watched him visibly cringe. "Allie."

Despite the fact that I had started to panic again, I really loved him. Dylan hid his face in embarrassment and handed me my sketchbook and pencil bag. I took it from him and glanced at Matt nervously. He just gave us a confused stare and turned around to open the door to the apartment. I turned back to Dylan who looked incredibly worried, his face had gone pale.

We walked inside and Dylan was still silent as we put down our stuff. Matt walked into the living room and kicked his feet up on the couch. He quickly sunk into a tv coma, completely unaware of us. I think that meant we were safe and he suspected nothing. I felt a small tap on my shoulder and turned around to see Dylan still looked incredibly stressed.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked.

"Of course!" I replied,

He seemed so serious as we walked back to my room. He closed the door with such solemn and I began to worry if something else had happened in the last few minutes that I missed.

"I'm so so sorry." He apologized under his breath. "Atticus I'm so sorry I didn't mean too to let it slip and then I just-"

"It's okay." I assured, my voice coming out quiet and shaken, I didn't expect him to get so emotional.

"No, it isn't, I- I have to make it up to you somehow." He promised taking both of my hands in his.

"Dylan." I tried to calm him. "It's not a big deal-"

"It is! You're my boyfriend, I'm the last person who should deadname you. It isn't fair that I have that power over you." He insisted.

My eyes widened as I realized what he was trying to imply. "You don't have to do this."

"Fair's fair." He insisted.

He was so stubborn, oh my God. Especially when it came to things like this, fairness and just, incredible concern. Dylan Clark was, as always, way too good for me.

"Sarah." He said, like the word left a sour taste on his tongue. "That's what it was."

I stood there and honestly didn't know what to say for a second. "Thank you for sharing it. It... I mean wow this means a lot."

"Yeah." He blushed. "Well hopefully now we can just leave those people behind us, right?"

"Definitely." I agreed.