6 - 4

Year 6
The Half Blood Prince

"Looks like the prince and princess had a fight,"

~~~

Y/n hauled her empty owls cage up to her usual room and put on her usual green robe. After six years of going to Hogwarts Y/n has discovered that she has not yet and will never get tired of the enchanted castle. This place is always a home to her.

She made her way down the empty corridor towards the main hall where Draco was waiting for her outside, a emotionless expression plastered on his face. He heard the girls footsteps and looked up, a slightly more warm expression appeared on his face.

"Hey Draco." Y/n greeted as she walked passed him, and he followed next to her.

He just nodded in reply, Y/n knitted her eyebrows at him for a moment but a more friendly expression shone through, brushing him off. The hall was noisy as they took two seats next to each other with the other Slytherins greeted them with a smile,

Y/n scanned the room, she could see Hermione, Ron, Ginny and Neville but no Harry. For the second time, her eyebrows knitted and she scanned the room looking for Harry, but his where about became clear when a loud scoff could be heard from Draco. Y/n sighed in relief when she saw him and Luna walk into the hall.

Within a second, Y/n's eyes were pulled to the front.

"Very best of evenings to you all," Dumbledore said as he stood on his podium, "First off let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn."

The professor stood up, everyone except Draco clapped.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post as potions master. Meanwhile, the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts will be taken by professor Snape." Everyone in the room was shocked at this decision but every Slytherin except for Draco and Y/n clapped.

"As you know, each and everyone of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight, and you have the right to know why." Dumbledore began again, " Once there was a young man, who, like you sat in this very hall walked this castles corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His Name? Tom Riddle. Today of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now dig into your meals."

What did he mean perhaps about the students being a weapon? As Y/n tried to think hard and work out this Riddle, she couldn't help but notice Draco's behaviour throughout the whole speech. He had his chin in his hands and his eyes were blankly staring at the table.

Y/n scooted closer to her friend and leaned into his side.

"Draco, are you feeling okay?" Y/n whispered into his ear.

Slowly, he turned his head towards her, their faces just inches apart. His eyes locked with hers as he nodded slowly, an expressionless look still in his eyes.

"Are you sure? I could help you in some way." Y/n said, simply caring about her friend.

"Moonshine, I said I'm fine." He whisper snapped, turning his head away from her.

There it was again, the common name, Moonshine. Y/n didn't like it when he called her that. To him it's Y/n and will always be Y/n because she's not some normal friend like Crabbe, Goyle or Pansy, she was his best friend.

"Okay, sorry." She muttered quietly, placing her hands on her lap.

Draco sighed and stood up, leaving Y/n with the questioning eyes off all her friends, wondering why Draco had left, why she was hanging her head and why her face was a bright shade of red.

"Looks like the prince and princess had a fight," Blaise teased, "Maybe Moonshine will revoke his Slytherin royalty."

"Grow up Blaise," Y/n grumbled, "And don't call us that!"

"Tell everyone in the school to stop calling you guys 'The Royal Couple' or sometimes it's 'The spoilt little rich brats'. Take your pick." Blaise shrugged.

"You guys know we aren't together, plus the only spoilt one is Draco." Y/n challenged, turning her serious tone more playful.

"She's got a point." Pansy chipped in, taking Y/n's side for the first time in years.

Y/n nodded a thank you in her direction and she smiled back. Y/n was truly glad that Pansy had matured over the summer and the sixteen year old wasn't salty about Y/n and Draco's friendship.

"I'm going to bed." Y/n announced and stood up.

She left after the rest of the Slytherins wished her good night and she took off down the hall. Y/n was surprised when she saw a certain blonde waiting for her at the end of the dungeon corridor.

"Y/n, wait." Draco sighed as she ignored him and walked into the green common room.

Her heart began to speed up when she heard her first name, meaning he wasn't angry anymore.

"Yes, Malfoy?" She played his own game.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you, love. I've just got a lot on my mind. You do understand don't you?" Draco was pleading with his eyes, just hoping I would say yes.

Her brain quickly flashed back to when she was stood in Diagon Ally, talking to Mrs Malfoy, who was cloaked and cancelled from the rest of the world, as she asked Y/n to promise to keep her son happy.

"I understand Draco." Y/n smiled, falling into his open arms.

They stayed there for a minute, her head resting on his chest, his cheek pressed against the top of her head and her arms pulling him towards her. His relaxed body gave her the sign that he was calm and at peace for the few moments that she held him.

"I would be hopeless without you Y/n Moonshine, I hope you know that." He mumbled, pulling her tighter towards him, taking a relaxed breath, inhaling the scent of her hair, "Have I ever told you, I love vanilla."

"I guess by the way you're smelling my shampoo, I could guess." Y/n chuckled, snuggling into his chest even more.