chapter one: a messy beginning

authors note: hello to those reading this!!
i haven't written a story in years, but i was stuck in my head and couldn't sleep from thinking abt this daydream i had and decided to write it for whoever wants to read it!! i've only been into bad omens for a little over a year, but i've loved them from the second i heard their music. i don't really enjoy capitalizing at the start of a sentence and you'll come to see that, trying to get better at it. sorry if that's bothersome to people! i hope you all enjoy my lil world where noah needs a private chef <3 -----
--

it's been two months without a job. two fucking months since I got let go from the best job I could have ever had.

I worked at a 5 star restaurant in LA. the job itself wasn't always perfect, but I loved my coworkers. they were always kind and helpful, which made my job that much more enjoyable.

when I was fired, I cried in my bed for a week straight, and I only got up to use the bathroom, and chug some water. Switching between sleeping, crying, and feeling nothing and everything was extremely exhausting. after that week was over, I managed to pick myself back up and start applying any and everywhere.

every place I applied to was desperate for help, yet I consistently got rejected from every single job. it was confusing at first, then disheartening, then straight up rude. I'm good at what I do! Why doesn't anyone want me?! I have so much fucking experience and exceptional references from past employers and teachers from my university days. this literally made no fucking sense.

after two months, I was almost at my breaking point of going back to my mom and asking her for help while getting back on my feet. I really didn't want to do that though. nothing against my mom because she would take me back with open arms.

I really wanted to prove myself though. prove that I could be successful, and I could start taking care of her instead of her taking care of me. it's always been a dream of mine, to buy her a nice home, and to make it so she didn't have to worry about anything anymore. she raised me and my siblings with only the help of her mom, my grandma. I love them both endlessly, so much so, I could explode from it. So the thought of going back home because I fucked up, really didn't feel like an option.

growing tired, I submitted my last application for the day. I decided it was time to eat, so I could sleep soon. I typically don't go all out when I cook for myself. sticking to my normal, I boiled some water on the stove so I could make ramen. "jesus" I say, as I look around my kitchen and living room, and see the mess i've ignored for the last two months. looks like i'll need to get some cleaning done tomorrow.

I finish cooking my ramen, adding an egg and some green onions. spectacular. my stomach gurgled at the smell of my dinner. I practically inhaled it; finishing my food in record time of five minutes. I picked up all of my dirty dishes throughout my tiny studio apartment, and got a headstart for tomorrow by loading the dishwasher and starting it.

I felt I deserved a little self care tonight, so I ran a bath, relaxing and reading trashy romance novels. I lit a candle and threw a face mask on.

the perfect way to end another shitty day, dealing with really shitty current life.

the next morning.

I woke up from the best sleep i've had in weeks. the amount of weed I smoked probably helped, since it makes me a deep sleeper.

I went to my bathroom to get ready for the day. to fill out more job applications and to clean my home. joy.

I threw on sweatpants and a t shirt, since I wasn't going anywhere. I tied my hair back, washed my face, and got started. I tackled the bathroom first, noticing how many things have been thrown around and the make up that stained the counter and sink. i scrubbed every inch of that damn bathroom. Then it was time for the kitchen. My favorite, yet most dreadful area to clean because I want it to look perfect. It took forever, but after lots of scrubbing and rescrubbing, it finally looked how I like it.
I did a half ass job on the bedroom/living area because I was exhausted, but something was better than nothing.

after five fucking hours, this house was basically spotless. I ran down to the communal mailboxes to grab the mail i've neglected for a few weeks, since I knew if I sat down, I'd like not get back up. There really wasn't much, since I do online statements for most things. I sighed loudly, seeing an envelope with a big "IMPORTANT" stamped on top. sliding my finger under the seal, I opened the letter and slowly felt my world crash around me.

"This notice is sent to Maria Sanchez ("Tenant"). Due to multiple months of no rent payment, and no attempts to contact the leasing office, you are hereby notified of lease termination and must vacate the premises by Tuesday, January 31st, 2023."

what the fuck?