Submerged

A/N: Lol shit's gonna start going down in the next couple of chapters. Brace yourselves kids.

I hurriedly closed the folder before rushing out of the room into the bathroom. I closed the door, praying it was silent, before reaching over and flushing the toilet.

"Sorry! One second!" I called back, trying to calm my racing heart.

I came out of the bathroom, forcing myself not to come to a halt when my gaze met Ryland's. He was standing at the end of the hallway.

I forced a smile and walked toward him. "What was that phone call all about?" I questioned, hoping to avert his focus.

"Just...business. I'm sorry to cut this short, but I have some things to take care of," he informed me, before grabbing my waist.

I made a sound of acknowledgment, "I understand. I can wait till next time I suppose," I informed him in an overexaggerated tone.

He chuckled before kissing me again. I forced myself not to cringe when his hands lowered, clutching onto me.

Eventually he pulled away, and I forced myself not to run away. He led me to the door, giving me another chaste kiss before I made my exit.

I was more than relieved to get away. However, once I returned to the car, Scott looked at me somberly.

"Are you okay?" he murmured.

I ignored his question, more focused on something else. "What were the files about? What kind of 'client' are you?" I asked after pulling out of the apartment building.

I wasn't really expecting a response, so I wasn't surprised when I didn't get one. I forced myself not to show my annoyance, and continued to drive in silence.

"You didn't answer my question," Scott noted, looking at me intently. "Are you okay?" he repeated.

"I'm fine," I retorted quickly. He clearly wasn't pleased with my response, but he didn't protest.

Once we returned to my apartment, I gave up on getting answers, and focused on taking a shower.

All I could feel was Ryland's hands all over me.

The same hands that tried to rid Scott of his life. Disgusting, cruel hands.

My eyes focused on the floor of the shower as the water pattered against it, falling from my tainted skin.

I kept my head down, just standing beneath the scalding water. Each burning feeling made me feel more alive, and I cherished it.

Eventually, the water cooled down, and I felt a figure step into the shower as well.

Warm hands crossed my chest, before a pair of arms closed around me, and Scott buried his face against the crook of my neck.

As soon as I felt his warmth, I let out a soft sob. The same man who'd hurt this precious man had been all over me. I hugged onto myself, resting my arms just beneath Scott's.

"It's okay," he whispered.

But it wasn't.

My vision blurred with tears, but I could only focus on it for a moment. I shook my head, not making any effort to move out of Scott's embrace.

"You're not supposed to be submerged in water," I murmured, hoping he'd get out.

"I can handle a short period of it. It's okay," he assured me, before placing a quick kiss against my shoulder.

I closed my eyes again, "I just want him off of me," I whispered.

"I know," Scott replied in a tone, no louder than mine.