Science

I sighed in frustration before yawning again. I sat cross-legged on the couch, staring at my laptop screen. "Is it really that hard to find a flight without layover," I grumbled before backtracking again.

I saw Scott look at me through my peripherals, and he looked concerned. "You're sure your parents won't mind that I'm there?" he questioned.

"Well I mean, I don't really have any other options. I don't think you'd be able to protect me very well from a different state," I pointed out.

"Did you tell them?" he inquired, raising his eyebrows at me.

I glanced at him awkwardly before looking back at my screen. "Uh...not yet."

"Hmm. Might wanna get to that. I don't want them asking why I'm over for Thanksgiving but can't eat," he pointed out.

"Yeah yeah, I'll get to that. I'm not entirely sure how to tell them though," I started, looking pondering it for a moment. "Hey Mom and Dad, meet my boyfriend, he's a robot."

Scott shrugged, "Sounds fine to me."

I groaned before focusing on my computer again. A few moments passed before I looked up abruptly at the sound of a knock at the door. I sighed in annoyance before giving Scott a pleading look. "Will you—"

"Yeah yeah yeah, I got it. No need to worry your pretty little head," he teased as he stood up and headed over to the door.

I smiled before finally finding cheap enough plane tickets for a convenient time. If booking flights was free and irritation-free, my life would be so much easier.

"Who is it?" I blurted out as Scott opened the door.

I furrowed my eyebrows when he didn't respond. I closed my laptop and looked forward the front door.

It was a woman with burnt orange hair that was up in a pristine bun. She wore a black suit with a pencil skirt. She looked around her mid-40s, but also emotionless.

She was extending something to Scott. A business card of some kind.

I instantly stood up before approaching. I gave her a wary look as she focused on me.

"Ah, Mitchell Grassi, I presume?" she stated simply.

My wary look only intensified. "Yeah, and you are?"

She extended her hand. "My name is Eden Murphy. I'm the assistant of well renowned scientist, Dr. Marshal Wheaton. Dr. Wheaton watched the news article about Mr. Hoying's recovery after the Ryland Martin case. It was disclosed to the media that he is part robot, correct?"

I looked at Scott who looked just as confused as I did.

I crossed my arms and looked back at Eden. "And you're asking that and showed up here because...?"

"Dr. Wheaton can offer you a large sum of money, in turn for you releasing custody of Scott Hoying into our possession for research purposes," she explained, no emotion on display in the slightest.

I gaped at her as if she were crazy. As soon as I opened my mouth to speak, Scott cut me off.

"No offense, mam, but I am mostly human. There's no 'custody'. And I don't really wanna be your guys' test subject," he explained boldly, mimicking my pose of crossing his arms.

Eden nodded, "I understand your hesitation, but this could be groundbreaking. Extending life through the utilization of artificial intelligence. Enhanced strength and data storage could make for extraordinary creations to protect and lead our society."