Muffled

I ended up curling up into a ball and snuggling into my bed, trying to force down tears. I was becoming such a mess, and I couldn't stand it.

I just wanted everything to slow down. I wanted everything to work out. I didn't wanna fight with Scott anymore. I didn't want him to leave.

But it was too late for that.

Someone can only handle being pushed so far.

I buried my face into my pillow, finally accepting defeat against the tears.

I'm not sure how long I laid there for, but I was startled abruptly by the sound of someone knocking on my bedroom door.

I sat up instantly, furrowing my eyebrows at the door. "Hello?" I called out.

"Are you done being a drama queen yet? Can I come in?" Scott asked simply.

I took a deep breath, suddenly hit with waves of relief. I stood up slowly and approached the door, before unlocking it.

Once I opened the door, I gave Scott a sheepish look before looking at the floor, feeling more like an idiot.

I closed my eyes and exhaled slowly as Scott reached forward and pulled me into his arms.

"We can go to Kevin's..." Scott murmured before slowly pulling away and giving me a hesitant look.

I let out a sigh of relief. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if Dr. Wheaton had something happen to Scott.

"But..." he started, and I gave him a sheepish look, "If you ever text Braden again, I'm gone. It's impossible for me to protect you if you keep putting yourself in stupid situations."

I nodded slowly, "Fair enough."

"You're lucky you're lonely, or else I would've actually had to go back to Kevin's," he pointed out with a teasing grin.

I rolled my eyes playfully before walking past him and heading back to the living room. "Bite me," I retorted. He let out a refreshing laugh in return as he followed me into the kitchen.

"So, what did Eden even do besides try to give you a seizure?" I questioned as I retrieved a water bottle from the fridge.

Scott shrugged as he leaned against the counter. "Just a bunch of algorithmic shit. Pinned me against a physical supercomputer to test my comprehension speed."

I could help but close my eyes and start letting my head drop.

"Hey!" Scott scolded, making me smirk and raise my head back up. "You're the one who asked," he pointed out before crossing his arms.

I headed back down the hall to my room as I chuckled, "I didn't realize it'd be so boring," I assured him before I began to get ready for work.

Scott sat on the bed, talking to me while I made myself look presentable. I couldn't have been happier that he had come back.

This time, I wouldn't fuck up again and push him away for good.

...

"You're joking, right?" Alex exclaimed over the deafening music, stumbling slightly in his bar stool.

I shook my head before smiling proudly and putting my hand on Scott's shoulder. "Not even one bit."

Alex smiled excitedly before setting his drink down. "But he doesn't look like a robot," he pointed out.

"Yeah yeah, he's a robot, amazing. Can we go dance now?" Kirstie whined from the stool on Alex's other side.

I gave her an annoyed look before turning in my seat and facing the bar, "Hold your horses, sweetie, mommy needs another drink," I announced.