Soaked

Once Kevin parked, I practically flew out of the car.

I ran forward, stopping at the caution tape. Kevin joined me a moment later, looking up at the building as well.

"Did they find the armed man?" Kevin asked the man to our left.

"There were two of them. Supposedly 4 people altogether in the apartment. 2 armed, 2 young men," the man explained.

I gasped softly, "Did they get the boys out?"

"One of em. He's the one that said there was another. Right over there," he added, pointing over the ambulance. I looked over it. It was a young man who looked not much older than Scott or I.

As soon as I went to head over to him, Kevin reached out, grabbing me by the shoulder. "Mitch..." he warned.

I turned toward him, "I just need to—"

"He's traumatized enough as it is. They'll find Scott," he assured me.

I bit back any kind of remark and looked back at the man.  It made me feel sick to my stomach.

I looked toward a passing cop on the other side of the tape. "Did they find the other boy?" I blurted out.

He looked at me sympathetically. "We're doing what we can. The shooters have been apprehended. We're scoping the entire building," he explained, before hurriedly carrying on.

I took a deep breath and shook my head. Even if Ryland had shot Scott, he was already dead. He'd be fine...he had to be fine. 

I glanced around, before furrowing my eyebrows. There was a sign that said "Pool" with an arrow pointing toward the back of the building.

A small gasp escaped before I lifted the caution tape and went under it. I took off into a run, ignoring Kevin and a cop calling after me.

My heart pounded, nearly suffocating me as I ran. Once I made it around the building, I stepped onto the concrete that surrounded the residential pool.

I ran forward, crouching at the edge.

My eyes widened, and I was struck with devastation at the sight of Scott's body lying on the pool floor.

"No!" I cried out, instantly blinded.

As soon as I went to jump in, Kevin put his hand on my shoulder, and did so instead.

"Send paramedics behind the building, we found him," the cop demanded into his walkie talkie.

I could hear commotion from behind me as paramedics and a few more cops came approaching as well.

Kevin gasped for air as he resurfaced, ushering Scott toward the cop.

As soon as he was pulled onto solid land, I wanted to reach out and hug onto Scott, but a paramedic hovered over him, before pushing down on his chest.

Kevin breathed heavily as he climbed out the water. "I have to go in and fix his system immediately before it completely shuts down," he declared.

The paramedics gave him a weird look, and completely ignored him.

"He's not responding, get him on the gurney," one of the paramedics demanded.

"No!" Kevin barked at them. "A hospital won't do anything for him. He's part robot. Listen, I'm a scientist and I have to fix his system before we lose him," he demanded.

I crawled forward at Scott's other side. I choked out a pathetic sob as I grabbed his hand. "It's gonna be okay," I choked out.

"Get these two out of here and get him to the hospital, immediately," a cop ordered.